I need some insight.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meadmaker101

Reaction score
Its been about 2.5 weeks and the cider is losing its color.
Is this a good/bad thing?

The cider started out with a very dark brown/red now its brown/yellow. I also noticed that fermentation is slowing down but the the stuff on the top is sinking down to the bottom.

The batch is as follows for 1 gallon batch.....
3/4 of a gallon of cider to leave some head space
2.5 pounds of honey
1 pound of corn surgar
1 pound of brown sugar
3 crushed nut megs
2 stix of cinnamon.

This is the before and after pics just let me know if its ok or if I need to add anything else to it.

ForumRunner_20130619_150651.jpg

ForumRunner_20130619_151652.jpg

ForumRunner_20130619_151709.jpg

Completely normal. Have you taken a hydrometer reading?

You added crushed three nutmeg, three?

Ya I used 3 whole nuts. The recipe called for a 6 gallon batch I just tried to break it down to a gallon...what would you have done for a 1 gallon batch

I dont have a hydrometer unfortunately. But will it lose its color because if the yest eating up all the sugar?

I was also wondering how would I get this batch crystal clear. I didnt use any camden tablets or pectic enzyme. Will be ok to add them to a batch thats has been fermenting for about 2.5 weeks or would that be a bad idea because its too late.

I dont have a hydrometer unfortunately. But will it lose its color because if the yest eating up all the sugar?

I was also wondering how would I get this batch crystal clear. I didnt use any camden tablets or pectic enzyme. Will be ok to add them to a batch thats has been fermenting for about 2.5 weeks or would that be a bad idea because its too late.

It will likely lighten up, or it should. It always appears darker in carboy vs the glass, but may still fall on the tan side. You can definitely add pectic enzyme and campden, especially if you never added them. Get them on board.You need that enzyme to help clear those proteins and the campden is antibacterial/antioxidant. As you start racking this will start to clear. Patience.
On the nutmeg, I just do not think a whole nutmeg, or three, would impart much. It is typically a ground spice, but you may extract something.
When do you plan on filling that headspace?

Back