i need some insight on my batch of hard cider

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

meadmaker101

Reaction score
Its been about 2.5 weeks and the cider is losing its color.
Is this a good/bad thing?

The cider started out with a very dark brown/red now its brown/yellow. I also noticed that fermentation is slowing down but the the stuff on the top is sinking down to the bottom.

The batch is as follows for 1 gallon.....
3/4 of a gallon of cider to leave some head space
2.5 pounds of honey
1 pound of corn surgar
1 pound of brown sugar
3 crushed nut megs
2 stix of cinnamon

OP
M

meadmaker101

Reaction score
Test:my time stamp on post is way off the origainal time.

wiredpanic

Reaction score
My batches tend to lighten a bit, but yours is difficult to judge because that is alot of sugar for not alot of volume. Likely a color change is probable as a result of the sugars being broken down (brown sugar specifically)

OP
M

meadmaker101

Reaction score
My batches tend to lighten a bit, but yours is difficult to judge because that is alot of sugar for not alot of volume. Likely a color change is probable as a result of the sugars being broken down (brown sugar specifically)
Sorry about the quantities of the sugar. I was trying to remember the quantities off the top of my head. The 1# is for 5 gallons but I should have typed 1/4 of a pound of sugar and brown sugar.

I was also wondering how would I make this crystal clear. I have pectic enzyme and campden tablets. I know your supposed to add them before fermenting but I didnt have them at the time I started the batch. Will it be a bad idea to add the pectic enzyme to it. I know that the campden is to kill off all the yest and other things.

rakibird

Reaction score
(Experts, correct me if I'm wrong here)

Campden tablets would kill off the fermentation process and likely give you off (skunk) flavors at this point. Avoid using that.

I do believe you can use the pectic enzyme at this stage. Of course, that is MY opinion.. :)