I need some help please

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

theciderguy

Reaction score
I did a one gallon batch and it turned out OK. It is not bad just just not what I was looking for. I got a few bottles of stuff from my brother that taste just like apple pie. I would love to replicate it if I could. I have done some looking around on line and it has left me with more questions than answers. I have access to a LHS and I have asked a few questions and got some good feed back. I want to go bigger this time and brew about 5 gallons. I have picked up a few things for my second try like a package of SN9 yeast (the guy at my LHS said it is good for a sweet cider and is backed up by what the package says) I also got some cinnamon sticks and some stare anise and a small package of sweet orange peal (dried). I feel I am off to a good start but I would like to get some advice on sugar or honey to bring up the SG. I am planning on using sprouts organic apple juice again and that leaves me with questions about getting it clear. I used pectic enzyme to try to clear it but it still turned out cloudy. I have read a lot about fining agents but can't pick which is best. But like I said it still tastes fine. It took some adding some juice to it but I don't mind that. I have questions about adding clove to my next brew but should I use whole or ground and how much. I have herd that clove can overpower cider very quickly. And oak chips for a little ageing. I also thought about adding a few whole vanilla deans. I was planning on adding all of the spices at the beginning of fermentation and let it go for about 10 to 14 days, or until the air lock stops. I don't care about ABV being high and I would like to keep it above 5.5%, to be honest the higher the ABV the better, in my family we are all Scottish. Can anyone think of anything that can help me get that apple pie flavor I am after. Please let me know if you have any questions, comments, or concerns.

scottballz

Reaction score
If you are looking for apple pie flavor you want to use cinnamon and nutmeg, maybe some vanilla. clove isn't going to hurt it but a little goes a longgggg way. the same is true with nutmeg and vanilla. my best advice is to start of with a little bit of each. maybe 1 cinnamon stick, 1/2 whole vanilla bean, 1/2 tsp clove, 1/2 tsp nutmeg. I don't recommend throwing it all in the beginning. wait until the gravity has stopped dropping and rack to a secondary on top of the sanitized spices. give it a try after a week or so, if its not to liking add a little more. if you are bottling, you are not going to achieve a whole lot of sweetness because you cannot back sweeten. you are going to have to start kegging or force carbing to achieve that.

OP
T

theciderguy

Reaction score
Thank you I was planning on botteling but why can't I back sweeten? And those amounts of spices for 5 gallons or per gallon?