I need some education on grains...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgez

Reaction score
I am trying to understand the difference between cara-vienna/cara-munich vs light/medium crystal malt. From what I've read they are very similar and can be used interchangably? If so, why would you use a cara malt over a crystal malt? Are all 'cara' malts essentially crystal malts?

Also, I would like to understand what these grains taste like in the final product. I was hoping someone could give me examples of commercial beers that have a heavy flavor of the following malts so I can get an understanding of their taste. I've read descriptions of the flavors, but tasting is worth a 1000 words.

Munich
Vienna
Honey Malt
Amber Malt
Biscuit Malt
Special B Malt
Cara-Munich
Cara-Vienna

Thanks.

From Weyermann's website.

I am trying to educate myself on the differences between your different cara malts. Based on the color ratings, it s easy to tell which malts will produce more color. Does the grain name following cara signify the grain that been crystalized? If so, it would make sense that Caramunich is a crystalized version of Munich....however what would the grain be for Carahell or Cara-amber? Beyond color, what are the variances in the caramalts (degree of body, foam, sweetness, caramel level, etc).
Answer You are right. “Cara” means that these products are caramel or roasted malts (Carafa® & Carafa® special) produced in roasting drums. Caramel malts are produced from green malt (directly after germination) in special designed roasting drums. In a saccharification step (70°C) the starch is converted into sugar. Then with higher temperatures these sugar is caramelized. For Carafa® roasted malt, special produced kilned malt is roasted in roasting drums (temperatures > 250°C).

Back