I Need Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaltySMoOTH

Reaction score
I have been doing small experimental batches of cider in order to find a yeast and recipe I really like. I currently have a one gallon apple wine that has stopped fermenting after about 7 days, but it has been sitting in primary for twelve days now. In this gallon i used 1/2 teaspoon of pectic enzyme to clear it up, as it was a pasturized organic and unfiltered apple juice. I have never used pectic enzyme before, and I didn't get the results that I expected. It cleared up some, but not much.

I was wondering if a transfer to a secondary would help with the clarity.
However, since it has ceased to ferment, I am concerned that i will risk oxidizing it in secondary, being that it does not appear to be producing anymore co2. I am not sure if the risk is worth taking, if its not going to clear up much more. I am thinking of just bottling and aging.

Please help, your opinions are appreciated.
Thanks.

I would take a gravity reading and see where you are. Thats the only real way to tell how far along you are. If you aren't completely done, go ahead and rack it over if you'd like. (Careful with splashing) If it's done fermenting, you can let it sit where it is for a while longer then bottle. It will age just as well in the bottle as in bulk, but you'll just have more sediment in your bottles.

Thanks for posting Pickled Pepper. I went ahead and bottled it, my FG was 0.992.

Back