I need help with my first saison recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLW

Reaction score
This is my first attempt and I'm not sure if I am missing anything. I can't seem to get the FG down low enough. I am using Beer Smith and it's new software for me so I might be missing something.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Belgian Saison Wyeast 3724
Yeast Starter: 2.9 liters
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.063
Final Gravity: 1.013
IBU: 33.4
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 5 RM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 28 days?
Additional Fermentation: none
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): none

Malts and Fermentables
7bs. 4 oz Belgian Pils 2 Row
2lbs. Munich Malt
8 oz. Vienna Malt
1lb. Table Sugar

Hops
1.75 oz. Fuggles Hops 4.5%AA 60 minutes
1 oz. StyrianHops 5.4% AA 20 minutes
0.5 oz. EKG Hops 5.0% AA 0 minutes
2 oz. Fuggles Hops 4.5%AA Dry Hop - 7 days

Less grain, more sugar? You're FG does seem a little higher than what I would expect from what your grist shows.

That yeast will attenuate past what Beersmith calculates. It may take 6-8 weeks to do it, but it will get down to 1.006 or so. Mash low too. That'll help.

-chuck

3711 wasn't in my list on Beer Smith I'll look for it on Wyeast site. Found it on the Wyeast site.

I plan on mashing for 90 min @ 147. Should I go lower?

If you mash lower than 150, consider doing a double infusion. 1st to get to 145-147 for 1/2 the time and then 150-155 for the second half. Reason is that some of the starches don't become soluable until heated to 150+. You'll still get a nice, dry finish, but it'll help with conversion and fermentation.

Back