I Need Help with my Belgian Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyndenP

Reaction score
I Just popped opened the lid on my fermenter to check the Gravity. There was lots of foam and krausen on top. The reading i got was like 1.010- 011 with a s.g. of 1.050. Indicating this beer is finished? I still have lots of airlock activity. a bubble every 20 seconds or so. This beer fermented like a yeast orgy for 3 and a half days, with me having to take the airlock out and put in a makeshift blow off tube. Lots of stuff bubbled out of the tube into the pan of water. My question is if this beer is done (or close) or if the gas escaping is just co2 coming out of solution. I know i need to take gravity readings but im pretty sure its at its estimated FG. (according to beersmith) I dont know this is only my third beer so im a noob. Any help is appreciated. Just dont hate on a noob.
Lynden

You need to wait. The airlock activity tells you almost nothing about how far along you are in the ferment I would let it sit in the primary for at least another week then rack to a secondary for and leave for 2 - 3 weeks. Make a few SG measurements over a 3 day period. If they all the same its done.

I have stopped using secondaries for the most part and just leave my ales in the primary for 3+ weeks.

Secondaries aren't really recommended for wits as cloudiness is part of the style.

I brewed one last week and plan on bottling after two weeks in the primary (as long as the gravity look alright.)

Correct. It has been so long since I have used a secondary that I forgot about the wit style.

Matter of fact I just brewed a Belgian Wheat yesterday. Have no intention of taking it out of the primary other than to bottle.

If you still had a krausen, then chances are your SG was still dropping. It sounds pretty close to your estimated FG, but it might just keep dropping below it a bit. Either way, I'd go with the advice here to let it sit a total of around three weeks in primary before bottling.

some yeast strains don't drop their krausen...they just thicken up.

+1 to leave it another 7-10 days, then bottle or keg.

really no secondary on a wit? i understand the logic of it being a hazy style, but still most of what i've read has a secondary ferm. recommendation.

slim chillingsworth said:
really no secondary on a wit? i understand the logic of it being a hazy style, but still most of what i've read has a secondary ferm. recommendation.

I would say no secondary for any style unless you are adding a fruit or a second yeast (like brett or bugs) or if you are bulk aging more than one month. The old knowledge (aka the first printing of How to Brew) was all geared toward using a secondary, but experience has shown that for most beers it is unneccessary. To any new brewer serious about their brewing I would recommend buying a new copy of How to Brew every brewery/ brewpub I have been in has a dog-earred copy. Sorry for being long winded.

good brewing

I don't secondary on any beer either unless I'm doing something crazy with it.

I keep all beers in primary for 3 weeks to a month with no ill-effect. The reasoning is that yeast will work to clean up their off flavors as time goes on. Taking the beer off the cake too soon, and this won't happen.

Back