I need help deciding on my 1st batch.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody189

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to beer brewing. I'm not a huge beer drinker, and have only been drinking for a few years, but being as though I'm in college, I thought it would be cool to brew my own.

I have no clue what all these different beers are and I don't know how to choose a recipe kit. I'm gonna jump right into a Partial recipe, rather than an extract.

My favorite beers are Sam Adams Cherry Wheat and Blue Moon.
I've tried Magic Hat IPA and didn't really care for it, so I don't think I'm gonna make an IPA just yet.

Anybody have any recommendations for what beer I might like to make?

Thanks

In a way, you have answered your own question. Only you know your likes and dislikes. Having said that, however, you did ask for input so I will throw in my $.02. I would suggest a wheat beer kit or a cream ale. Both are easy to brew and good beginner beers. You could find a local home brew supply shop and get to know them. I am sure they would be very helpful and would be glad to offer advice. You could also look in your area for a homebrew club. The best way to learn about brewing is to brew and it really helps to have a mentor.

There. That is my opinion.

Welcome to the hobby and always feel free to ask questions here. There are a lot of good people who will offer great advice and share their opinions.

Thanks gestyr. I'll look into the wheat and cream ale. I know what I like, but I don't know what recipes would give me a similar taste.. I don't really have too many brew supply shop in my area, but i'm trying to find one.

I'm open to more suggestions before I buy all my supplies.

Once you find a homebrew shop you can start with one of their kits they sell that would taste like something you'd like (ask them), and they also should be able to run you through a lot of the "how to" sort of stuff. If you can't find a homebrew shop and have to order a bunch of stuff online, you could go with a kit from one of the online places or look in the database on here for clone recipe of whatever you'd like to make. Cheers and good luck!

howtobrew.com is probably the best place to start for homebrewing information, if you haven't looked at it already. John Palmer has compiled (almost) everything you need to know to be a great brewer.

I also second the idea of a wheat beer, and the idea of finding a kit...either at your Local Home Brew Shop (LHBS) or at an online vendor like brewmasters' warehouse, austin homebrew or midwest supplies. There are plenty of kits, and even clone kits of Blue Moon.

That's great. I called a not-so-local LHBS, and I think they would be helpful. I'm gonna go there when I get a chance. Thanks for the help. I'll let you know what I choose and how it goes.

Okay. So for my first batch I went to the only LHBS in my area and I told the guy I like Sam Adams and I like Blue Moon and I would like a similar tasting beer. He looked at me like I was crazy so I told him I just wanted a Wheat Beer.

Here's what he gave me...

1/2 wheat/ 1/2 carapils steeping
2.5 # wheat DME
1 can malt extract
boiling and finishing hops
sugar/yeast

I brewed it with some cherries and bottled it last week so I'm still waiting for the final verdict.

Even though the guy was nice, he didn't really help that much, so I was wondering if someone could explain to me, or lead me to a link that explains how you choose what hops/grains you use. I'm going to continue making a wheat beer, but IDK how to choose. And most of the kits are straight up extract. I want to make a PM, but I have no idea how to choose the ingredients.

How do you learn how much/what types of ingredients to use?

How do you learn how much/what types of ingredients to use?

Ray Daniels' book has been recommended - "Designing Great Beers: The Ultimate Guide to Brewing Classic Beer Styles"

Amazon Link

You might also want to study up on basic brewing a bit more, however. The link to the very useful Palmer website was already given. But I recommend his book as well. I used it as my bible when I was getting started.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray Daniels' book has been recommended - "Designing Great Beers: The Ultimate Guide to Brewing Classic Beer Styles"

Amazon Link

You might also want to study up on basic brewing a bit more, however. The link to the very useful Palmer website was already given. But I recommend his book as well. I used it as my bible when I was getting started.

Thanks... I'll pick it up

Last edited by a moderator:
Back