I need help/ advice/ ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I have a partial bag of 2 row that has been in the bag in a rubbermaid container for over a year. I actually bought another NEW bag but have used all of that and now all I have is the old bag and I want/need to brew tonight. is there a definitive way that I can tell if this malt is still good? .....it is dry...and has been covered. It does not taste "stale" but it also does not tastes fresh either... any help would be appreciated.

As long as it is uncrushed and not moldy then you should be good to go. I would not use it in a big malty beer but for an session beer you should be fine.

It will be fine. I buy enough unmilled malt to use for an entire year. I am now doing and experiment with malt that is almost two years old to see if I can tell the difference. Of course you need to have kept it dry and in an air tight container in a cool place but is sounds like tyou have done that.

Back