I need cider help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SenorPepe

Reaction score
Quick background: I've made lots of batches of apfelwein and mead but this season I tried my hand at ciders for the first time. I wanted to make a draft-style cider, off-dry but with some carbonation. My plan was to ferment dry, rack onto apple juice concentrate and use Pappers' stovetop pasteurizing to stop it at around 1.010.

I got fresh, unpasteurized cider from the LHBS specially blended for making hard cider. It seemed legit from what I've been reading, as it wasn't exactly what you'd choose to drink. A little more complex and tart. Anyway I started with a gallon, pitched a whole sachet of rehydrated S-04 into the gallon when it was cold, and let that ferment out. No campden. Then I decided I wanted more so I got another 2 gallons and racked it all into a 3 gallon BB. I let that ferment out fairly cool, around 63, then let it come up to room temp after a couple weeks. Today I went to rack it onto concentrate, assuming it would be dry (from the start of the one gallon batch to today is 80 days, 50 days in the BB. But I took a hydro anyway and it was more like .008 and holy crap it is the best fruit-based thing I've fermented. It's perfect. The apple taste hasn't lost its integrity, just the right sweetness, crystal clear.

I guess I don't understand how it's possible for a robust yeast that hasn't hit its alcohol tolerance to not eat remaining fermentables. I'd really like to just add a bit of priming sugar and bottle it as is but since I don't really understand why the yeast have stopped I'm concerned. I suppose I could always just pasteurize anyway but if it's really hit a stable FG I don't want the hassle. So can someone please 'splain me what is going on and what I can expect if I add some priming sugar and bottle? I feel like a noob but just can't wrap my head around this one. Cheers!

My guess is that it has something to do with the blend of cider. Here is new England crabapple is a popular addition that in my experience adds what I perceive as tannin and body. I would assume that the body would relate to FG numbers. Did your LHBS give you a break down of the blend?

Latest posts

Back