I Need All The Help In The World

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xBOBxSAGETx

Reaction score
alright, im a beer lover. i have no intelligence on making beer, and what supplies i would need. soooooo if someone could point me in the right direction towards brewing it would be greatly appreciated. i love german skunky beer like st. paulie girl (dont know what its technical name). i love goose islands american wheat ale 312. and my top favorite is goose islands 'Matilda' its a super tastey belgian ale that would kill for. all advice and tips are greatly appreciated. thanks
Alex-

I you click on that link it's all online. that's an excellent resource with which to start. you'll probably end up reading it 2-3 times, and then refering back again from time to time.

next step is to buy a home brew kit from your local homebrew store or an online store. I'd recomend getting one with a 2 buckets and a carboy so you can use a secondary, but that's not absolutely nessecary.

then get a recipe kit and start brewing. i'd recomend the kind with malt extract, hops, and some specialty grains. It's not hard to do and your results will most likely be much better than with the pre-hopped cans of malt extract (although there's nothing wrong with those, my first two batchs were from a can)

First off you need supplies. You can order online from multiple suppliers such as austin home brew, midwest supplies, northern brewer and many others. I would suggest however, that you go and get stuff yourself and you may save some $ on shipping charges. Some brew stores in the area are listed at better-bottle and so you can get all you need to get set up there. Otherwise just read a bit and have fun with it. Do a very simple beer at first would be my recommendation just to build confidence. I started with an amber ale. I never tried one before this and it was different at first but after the 3rd bottle this week, it really is tasting good. Welcome and have fun with it. It truly is an obsession.

Also, the carboy vs better bottle saga lives on but the better bottles are going to be a LOT cheaper especially if you are going to buy your kit online due to the lighter weight.

Also, the carboy vs better bottle saga lives on but the better bottles are going to be a LOT cheaper especially if you are going to buy your kit online due to the lighter weight.

+1 for the better bottles. I wish I had bought only better bottles from the get go.

Its really a matter of shopping around. northernbrewer.com is a good one. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/, http://www.austinhomebrew.com/. Also it matters how deep you want to dive into this hobby. If you are unsure if this is something you really want to do for many years to come, maybe just go with a very simple kit with just a fermenting bucket, racking cane, bottle capper, siphon tubing, and air lock just to make sure you like it. Otherwise if your serious about makin' beer then I would go big now and save money later. Glass carboys or better bottle secondary fermenters would be nice. I'd go with a 6 or 6.5 gallon because it will save a mess. But it really boils down to how much do you want to invest in this and how willing you are to stick with it.

Back