I need a Simple recepie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirTeapot

Reaction score
Hi my first batch was froom a beer kit and it turned out to be, drinkable(some mistakes were made on my part.

However now I am getting ready for my second batch and because I live in a country where home brewing is not popular, I've got a problem getting ingredients (mostly malt).

What I would need is a recepie that would make use of ingredients that i have.

malt:
1kg light malt DME -2lb 3.2740oz
1kg dark malt DME

hops:
250g Target - 8.8185oz
250g Cascada

yeast:
Safale
Safbrew

also I have access to spices if needed for secondary

also water is supposed to be quite good from the tap in my region

I am posting this because I cannot find anything simple ( most recepies call for zillion hops and malts or contain malts i dont have -.-)
and because i dont know what is the corect ratio if i would want to improvise.

I ran into a similar problem too. I liked using recipe kits, but wanted to try something more. I looked and looked. My problem was that most recipes I found online called for various quantities, which without a food scale made it difficult to brew accurately. In the end, I went back to buying recipes kits online from Austin Home Brew. I also bought some grains too for some mini mash recipes I've done. While I do have a LHBS in Chicago I go to, everything they sell I can and do buy online, and the prices are the same.

Well, you could always improvise.

You're a little light on extract for 5 gallons though.

1 lb of DME = 1.25 LME
1 lb LME = .8 DME

Thus as the typical 5 gallon extract recipe uses 6 pounds LME. We can modify that to 4.8 pounds of DME and as you have just 2 kg = 4.4 lbs you can do a 4 to 4 1/2 gallon batch. You can use this to fine tune proper desired O.G. (4.4 lbs of DME in 4 gallons batch will have O.G. of 1.050 which is decent.)

You can do can add 1/2 an oz (or more) of cascade hops three times (1 1/2 oz to 3 oz total) for bittering, flavoring, and aroma. Then pitch with safale. Or Safbrew. Or both.

It'll be beer. I don't know if it will be *interesting* beer but it will be beer.

With only those ingredients I'd do this:

4 gallon batch:
all your DME
0.5 oz target at 60 min
1 oz cascade 15 min
1 oz cascade 0 min
ferment with S-05

Should be around 1.049 OG and about 30 IBU depending on your AA's.
As far as style I guess would be closest to an American brown, hard to know for sure as you never know exactly whats in the dark DME.
:mug:

I would like to thank you for the recepie. I have just breved it :D i put in 2 /3 of the 11g safale bag i hope its enough :D

I'm sure it will work. For the record though, if you find yourself in the same situation again, I'd just toss the whole packet in.

I'm sure it will work. For the record though, if you find yourself in the same situation again, I'd just toss the whole packet in.

Oh, yeah. When in doubt over pitch. But don't worry about it. I'm sure it'll be fine.

So how are you going to get your ingredients for your next batch?

Back