I need a good burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimelessCynic

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good burner with a stand. Preferably over 60,000 btu and one that is good to clean after accidental boil overs. Do they make manifolds that don't rust?
I want to buy something that will last a life time and that I can later on convert to my natural gas outlet. Propane for starters.

Would need to be suitable for a keggle.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Blichmann is the standard for best in class for burners, but for all the opinions you find on here, I don't know how it can be better than the edelmetall I use. I got it on a great sale, though, regularly it is just a bit cheaper.
I believe they use the same burner.

If you can get a used turkey fryer for $20.00 or so, you will probably get a 30 qt pot, and a 50k BTU burner, or something similar. A 50k BTU burner will boil a 10 gallon pot without trouble. Most 30 qt pots sit inside the edge of the burner, eliminating wobble. The SP 10 propane burner, has the same "4" burner most generic turkey fryers have, it just comes with a higher pressure regulator and over doubles the BTU output. Mine has an adjustable 5 PSI regulator, and others come with a 10 PSI regulator

Thanks for the input guys. I am on my second turkey frier. Problem is which manifold rusting. I will
Check out the edemetall construction details.

I have to ask, which part of the manifold is rusting, and is it affecting the heat output so much you are on your second one?

Its too hard for me to describe the geometry correctly.

For the first one it didnt so much affect the heat output but I had soot like crazy. Soot everywhere. It was a real annoyance.

My second turkey frier is of a better design but when I get a boil over it plugs the holes and necessitates me to clear out the individual small holes to get gas flow through. If I am
Not diligent the gas dispersion is off. If this one starts to rust then i need a rust free easy clean burner.

I think the boil-over thing applies to pretty much any cast burner. I've only ever had one boil-over on my Blichmanns and I had to poke fried sugar out of a crap load of tiny holes. And I've witnessed the same thing with BG-10s, SP-10s and SQ-14s, so it's definitely a thing.

Maybe the jet burner folks get away with boil-overs. I don't know anyone who runs jets...

Cheers!

Its too hard for me to describe the geometry correctly.

For the first one it didnt so much affect the heat output but I had soot like crazy. Soot everywhere. It was a real annoyance.

My second turkey frier is of a better design but when I get a boil over it plugs the holes and necessitates me to clear out the individual small holes to get gas flow through. If I am
Not diligent the gas dispersion is off. If this one starts to rust then i need a rust free easy clean burner.

My first turkey fryer sooted up like crazy, and the heat was minimal too I thought. I loosened up the center bolt, moved the insert "cup" around, and got it where there was no more soot, blue flame and hot.
The burner design isn't crappy, it was just assembled poorly. I have a 5 PSI adjustable regulator, and it makes way more than enough heat to hard boil a 10 gallon batch. A wire brush will knock all the junk/boil over off easily.
Neither the cup or the burner are perfectly round, but with a little adjustment, a nice burner can be made. This is the same burner design used in the Bayou Classic SP 10, and they get good reviews. I will guess they test run the burners before final packaging and set the cleanest burn possible.

My first turkey fryer sooted up like crazy, and the heat was minimal too I thought. I loosened up the center bolt, moved the insert "cup" around, and got it where there was no more soot, blue flame and hot.

The burner design isn't crappy, it was just assembled poorly. I have a 5 PSI adjustable regulator, and it makes way more than enough heat to hard boil a 10 gallon batch. A wire brush will knock all the junk/boil over off easily.

Neither the cup or the burner are perfectly round, but with a little adjustment, a nice burner can be made. This is the same burner design used in the Bayou Classic SP 10, and they get good reviews. I will guess they test run the burners before final packaging and set the cleanest burn possible.

Mine rusted soo badly I couldn't remove the cup. The bolt would not come loose. My second turkey frier has a bunch of holes in the manifold instead of the cup.

I am not sure if what i currently have will rust inside and eventually give off soot. If it does I would look for a similar construction but made from SS so I could blast water through it once and a while. Not sure if that product exists. I basically want an all weather burner.

Latest posts

Back