I miss brewing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinakajuice

Reaction score
Lately, I have been too busy to brew. No, really. I bought a house and I'm getting married in August. SWMBO likes the homebrew and even goes with me to the Dogfishhead Alehouse and Sweetwater Tavern. I work full time and on top of that, I go to school full time. This is my first semester of really going back to school and I took 13 credit hours. Finals are next week and I think for summer, I will only take two classes so I have a little bit of time to do fun things such as having some brew sessions and restoring my '69 Firebird.

When I do get back to brewing, the hop garden that I helped my BIL plant and then replant the last two years appears to be growing like it should this year. My kegerator and brewing equipment are still at my old house. I would like to brew up some beer for my wedding during that week off between classes. We'll see how that goes.

Good luck, man. It's hard to find time to brew, and it only gets harder. Make time for it if you enjoy it.

If I can find time with a two year old and a full schedule of classes you can as well. Advanced planning is key though. Are you an all grain guy? If you are remember that extract batches are quick and easy and still produce great beers.

I have a two year old as well which makes it very difficult. If I do all grain I take a vacation day and do it while the wife is at work and my daughter is at day care. Or I will extract brew at night once everyone goes to bed.

I brew 2 times a month 2 brews in a day. I have a gravity system so it cuts down the time a little. I also have a 2 year old running around and my own business that I'm at 12 hours a day. You need to make time. When do I brew? I start Saturdays at 5 AM. Done by 1130 or so. If you love it you will find the time.

Wow 5AM! I go the opposite route and start setting up and heating strike water right before the little one goes down at night.

Brew up a batch of apfelwein, takes nearly no time and will at least scratch the itch. Pretty tasty as well.

I'm in a similar boat. Getting married, selling the house (so don't want to have fermenters/brewing mess all over the place during showings), lots of time at work, etc. It's hard to find time. Like someone above said, apfelwein is quick and so is cider, skeeter pee, etc.

If the SWMBO is a beer conoseuir then I would try and set a time where we could be together and brew as a He/She sort of activity. I have had some of my best Married times together when we do stuff like this as a team. When something stupid or funny happens we have that to share and giggle about later. A family that brews together stays together if you ask me. So budget some time for house chores, Honey Doo's, private time and community time, you'll be very very happy with the outcome. No hobbies or even worse an abandoned hobby are often a source of friction that can be avoided very easilly if you plan in advance. Just .02 from the happily married fringe. Been together for 15 and married for 6 so it can happen for you too.
Bob

Back