I messed up, what can I expect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBarron

Reaction score
So,

I definitely wasn't in the zone yesterday, and made a few bone head mistakes when I brewed my first Cascadian Dark. During mash in, I guess I forgot to turn my pump off and walked away for a minute. When I came back, my HLT was almost empty, my heating element was a second away from popping, and my 10 gallon mash tun was almost overflowing with water. I usually fly sparge, so I didn't know what else to do but just mash at 152-153 for 60 minutes as usual. So, after 60 minutes, I drained the whole mash tun and got about 6.25 gallons into the boil. I hit my numbers and my OG was about 1.059 going into the fermenter.
So, besides my lower efficiency, what can I expect from this beer? I know everything I've read says you should only use around 1.5 quarts of water per lb of grain during the mash and that you should mash out at a higher temp, but since I already had my boil volume, I didn't know what else to do. Any thoughts?

Sounds like you got a bit distracted during your brewday, something that's pretty easy to do. I use Strike Water Calculator to help me figure out all that stuff like grain temperature, mash thickness and total volume.

The first time I used my new all grain setup I spent hours doing the calculations which actually helped me hit all my temperature spot on. Now when doing recipes I just look back on my notes and only have to make slight adjustments to those initial numbers.

I guess you added about 9-11 pounds of grain to the tun and about double the amount of water? The good news is you will have beer, let us know how it turns out.

shouldn't make much difference, you basically stumbled into the "no-sparge" method that some brewers already do.
I don't even want to know why you would leave after you start pumping your mash water in. Also, I always shut my HLT element off before I pump the water over (since I've hit the exact temp I want anyways). The entire step of transferring mash water takes about a minute, and I'm usually trying to hit a fairly precise volume (ie. yesterday was 5.5 gallons) so I need to watch closely to shut down the pump right when it hits that volume.

No sparge huh?

Yeah, I wasn't sure about the whole raising the water temp to mash out. I guess I did raise the temp when I dumped it in the boil and cranked the propane, but not sure thats gives the same effect.

About walking away from the pump, I could have sworn that I turned it off. I was watching as I hit my volume in the mash tun and thought I closed the valve. Guess not. Like I said, I was not in the zone yesterday and made some stupid mistakes. Good news is that I didn't blow another element.

I wouldn't worry. "I hit my numbers and my OG was about 1.059 going into the fermenter. "

If you hit your numbers you're efficiency was the same! One thing everyone eventually finds out is that if you mix malt, hops, & yeast you end up with beer almost despite yourself!!

ahh.. yeah, it happens.

raising the temp for mashout just helps you get the sugars into solution more easily, so more of an efficiency thing.

Back