I may have my first infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR402

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a SmSh beer on a whim 3 weeks ago. It was done fermenting and a week ago I took a sample from one of the two carboys. FG was 1.012 and it tasted good, nothing odd.
Last night I walked into the brew room to get something and I seen that the carboy I pulled a sample from was fermenting like mad. It was all cloudy and bubbling away. Damn it...
I guess I'll let her go and see what she does. :(

what do you consider "fermenting like mad"? could be just out gassing from the transfer. i do think its a little odd that it clouded up. generally that means the yeast woke up and started growing again. which would explain the increased fermentation. any chance that some fermentable sugar got into the batch??

i had a similar reaction when i topped off a batch of mead i was making with some must. the yeast woke up and started working on the new sugar and there was plenty of bubbling and cloudiness.

i dont think you have an infection. i would be curious how it turns out.

I say it's fermenting again because of the cloudiness (yeast moving about) and the inch of foam ontop that was not there before 9had already dropped).
Not thinking infected now. I seen the other day that the 2nd carboy (never opened) has started back up too. not as much as the first but doing something.

Oh well, I'll let her sit as long as it needs to. I have 35 gallons of BM's blonde I need to keg up anyways.

Is it possible you had a temperature increase where you have you carboys stored? Given that both carboys were affected around the same time it sounds like an environmental issue.

Is it possible you had a temperature increase where you have you carboys stored? Given that both carboys were affected around the same time it sounds like an environmental issue.

I don't think so. My brew room is in the basement and never really changes. maybe +- 3*.

Back