I may have messed up but.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdhucks7

Reaction score
Ok i have a Brewers Best Red Ale in my secondary. I brewed it on 11-11-07. When i put it in primary the Gravity was 1.038 a little lower than what the directions said (they said 1.042-1.045) i may have read the hydrometer wrong this was my first attempt after all, or forgot to take into account the temp. But i digress, i racked to secondary on 11-18 and took a second gravity reading this was 1.012. I would assume that this is very close to what my final gravity should be. I just took a reading not 10 minutes ago and it read 1.014. My question is did i just mess up taking my reading or is it possible for the gravity to go up after a couple of weeks? I was going to try to bottle but i think i should wait a couple of days and take a couple of more readings. I dont want bottle bombs! SWMBO would have my head on a platter if i have an eruption in our spare bedroom and leave beer all over! I have been reading this forum almost everyday since before my first brew and have learned so much from all of the posts. Thanks for any and all responces..

SD

It's probable that you were just misreading your hydrometer. I would (as you suggested) wait a couple of days and take another hydrometer reading. Check out the BrewWiki at the top of the page for more info on hydrometers and a lot of other homebrewing related stuff.

Congatulations on your first brew!:mug:

Some times CO2 bubbles can float the hydrometer a bit. I either degas the sample or spin the hydrometer a few times to remove any bubbles.

Back