I may be a beer snob, but I'm a coffee *****!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMama

Reaction score
My usual morning ritual is to grab a cup of coffee in the AM when I wake up. I have a single (large) cup maker that I use with my run of the mill 'Folgers'. Occasionally Ill get bold and grab a can of the dark roast or burned to a crisp roast varieties that FOLGERS offers.

Well, the wife went on a week long vacation to Cabo San Lucas Mexico (with her mom and sister) and returned home with a bag of 'Cabo Coffee'. My initial impression upon smelling the bag was 'Okay, its a bit nutty and different' so I brewed some this AM.

I guess I had to get through the first cigarette to really jack my tastebuds enough to taste how bad this coffee was. 'Dark Roast Ground' is what the package said, and thats about what it tasted like. Dark roastings of the ground - when it has been raked and mucked from the bottom of a horse stable. Being the devout coffee drinker that I am, I choked this hot cup of battery acid down and grabbed another smoke and a handful of mints to mask the bitter aftertaste.

Needless to say, I aint gonna be drinking this crap again anytime soon. Looks like this is going to 'magically' appear next to the coffee maker at work (which I refuse to drink from). We have an old salt there (still wishes he was in the Navy) that drinks the swampwater coffee he brews all day long.
-Me

Are we talking about coffee or the watered-down brownish water that Americans usually drink in the "AM"?

We had an american in out research group a while ago, he was always complaining about the bitter coffee, I had a cup of starbucks once and I'm still wondering what I drank...

European coffee snobbery I guess ;)

Translate the typical Joe's idea of high-end coffee into craft brews, and you'd have a 8% ABV Bud Light hopped to 120 IBUs. It's just not right.

That's why I roast my own now. Nobody can tell me how I like my coffee. Haha! :rockin:

Translate the typical Joe's idea of high-end coffee into craft brews, and you'd have a 8% ABV Bud Light hopped to 120 IBUs. It's just not right.

That's why I roast my own now. Nobody can tell me how I like my coffee. Haha! :rockin:

amen! i can't remember the last cup of coffee I had that I hadn't roasted myself in my hobby room.

I have 10lbs of beans coming from Sweet Maria's too. something from Kenya and some Peaberry that was a good price for 5lbs.

so far SM's has yet to disappoint me.

Dont tell me that you use those beans that are a 'delicacy' in some countries. (You know, the ones that the certain type of monkey eats then poops out)
Ill drink my folgers anyday.
Guess I should follow suit and grab a 12 pack of PBR to follow suit until my bottles are done conditioning huh? LOL
-Me

What roaster do you all use?

I use this one:

Milwaukee Heat Tool 750 - 10019 at The Home Depot
287e5e7e-853c-4344-9644-07aa08fff7d4_300.jpg

With a bean containment device such as this:

p_900_FS12144D.jpg

... a $3 stainless dog bowl from the pet store. If it isn't redneck, hillbilly, or otherwise downright weird, it doesn't belong anywhere near by brewhouse. :D

I see you found the right thread...

The problem is that you've been drinking Folgers. If that were the best part of waking up, I'd kill myself in my sleep.

Community New Orleans blend is what you want. Maybe some CDM.

And I think Saccharomyces changed his avatar a little while ago and then changed it back. Yeah. I saw what you did there.

I like that I can get free coffee at my work, but unlike the packaging stating "Good till the last drop", I think it's HORRID at the FIRST drop!

First thing in the morning, I don't care what it is, as long as it is loaded with caffeine !!!

I like quality ground beans if I have them. If not, Maxwell House or Yuban. I am way less picky about my morning coffee than my beer.

I like quality ground beans if I have them. If not, Maxwell House or Yuban. I am way less picky about my morning coffee than my beer.

Maxwell House house blend for me. I don't fark around with my first cup. I'll experiment after that, but the first one has to be right.

Fresh F@!king ground, Fair Trade, dark a$$ roasted beans or SWMBO screams bloody damned murder when she dilutes the hell out of it with

FLAVORED CREAMER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some mornings, I just want a beer and maybe go back to bed.

I am bloody excited, my little sister gave me a moka pot for christmas. best coffee pot ever (french press being a close second).

Enjoying a cup or three right now.................:D

Power has been out most of the morning, so it was a long wait.

P1000198.jpg

My "other" brew rig...If its not well made its not worth drinking, be it beer or coffee!

I always use Tully's medium roast in either my French Press or Moka Pot, but I'm not rich enough for a burr grinder, I use a blade style grinder.

I know Jack **** about coffee, whether it be US, South American or European......All I know is that Americans should be kept the f#ck away from tea. It's TEA for Christ's sake! How can you manage to f#ck TEA up the way you do!!? Ask for cup of tea in a public place here (Well, I don't do that anymore, I'm not frigging stupid) and you get a soggy bag of crap in warm water or ice cold monkey semen!!

breathe...breathe.....breathe.....

LG, you gotta stop ordering the ice cold monkey semen! We Americans don't understand your brand of English, you have to order differently. But like you, I hate sweet tea and iced tea. They don't serve 'generic soggy bag of crap' out in my part of the woods, they actually ask if you want green, white, black, etc. then the brand name.

Tea doesn't belong in a bag anyway. I am just as snobby about my tea as I am about my coffee. I don't want something that has been ground to a powder and left to sit for months, I like to actually see tea leaves when I make tea.

I've been considering getting into real nice teas, but I have a bunch of tea bags left over from a costco trip about a year ago that I'm still trying to go through, and I fear that if I get as crazy about tea as I have about beer, cheese, and artisan bread, that I'll never enjoy the crappy tea that I'm satisfied with now. Luckily that hasn't progressed into wine yet, that gets expensive.

I've been considering getting into real nice teas, but I have a bunch of tea bags left over from a costco trip about a year ago that I'm still trying to go through, and I fear that if I get as crazy about tea as I have about beer, cheese, and artisan bread, that I'll never enjoy the crappy tea that I'm satisfied with now. Luckily that hasn't progressed into wine yet, that gets expensive.

I ended up with a TON of tea that I wasn't really willing to drink. Luckily I found someone that was happy to take it off my hands.

Back