I made Mead!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnonyBrew

Who rated my beer?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I guess it should be called Methlagyn.

5g filtered tap water
15 lbs. Honey (from MT)
2 tsp. ginger
1 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
Zest from 1 lemon (0.1 oz? wasn't much)
Juice from 2 lemons

2 Tbs. yeast nutrient
Red Star Premier Cuvee Champagne yeast

I brought the water & spices to a boil for 5 min. Then let it cool to 160-170F before adding the honey. Let sit around 160F for 10-15 min. before running it through my CFC & cooling it down to 75F, then shook to aerate and pitched yeast. OG was 1.104.

There is visible activity & krausen this morning.

I'd like to add some oak flavor to this eventually. Perhaps throw in an oak chip a month or two before bottling?

The plan for this mead is to bulk age it almost 1 year until about June 09, then bottle it. Some carbed, some not. Drink in Sept. 09.

Way To Go SoperBrew!
You have a nice little recipe there. I'm pretty sure that it's going to be great...however I'd think that Nutmeg is going to be pretty pungent right off...so don't be too concerned about the samples for 6 or 7 months....dang Now I'm going to have to do a Nutmeg Mead.

I bottled my first Mead several weeks ago.

I took the "New Year Mead" recipe found here and added to it Apricot Nectar in one batch and whole Vanilla bean in another. The D-47 chewed through it like a champ and it finished out perfectly, not too dry, not too sweet.

I cold crashed the jugs for 24 hours at 33*f to drop more yeast and at bottling it was read through clear and very tastey, if not a little hot.

I'll keep it in the bottles til January. By then it will have been in bottle for 6 months. Plan to crack a couple open to celebrate the birth of my Second son and reserve a couple til he's at least 18.

I haven't done it yet but, I intend to dip the bottle tops in some parrafin wax to seal them properly. I will wait until he's born to do this as I think a little oxidation will help round it off.

Nutmeg works great, I did a cinnamon/clove/nutmeg metheglyn a bit ago , it's a sack strength, and my first mead I ever did. It's a tad sweet for my liking, but the spice character is wonderful, as you can't quite tell what spices are in it, other than it's a pleasant overall spiciness. Good stuff.

Back