I made labels!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gremlyn

Reaction score
I'm no graphics designer, and not even super proficient with GIMP, but I like what I came up with. Here they are:
gobfs.jpg

ghp.jpg

They're OK, funny to look at, and scary too...:D

I think you need to drop the dark background. In the world of color you need light to produce dark. Your label uses a dark figure (gremlyn) on a dark background. By lightening one the other stands out better.

I'd recommend lightening the background color as it will use most of the ink. By lightening it you'll save $$$ by not buying so many cartridges. ;)

I'm currently printing these on the nice laser at work, so I'm not tooooo worried about ink/toner ;) I see what you're saying with the dark/light thing, but I think it actually applies more to the brewery name than the gremlyn. The green seems to stand out pretty well against the blue, but I'll play with lightening it up. Take a look at them on the bottles:

2009-12-04_07_53_25.jpg

NOTE: The awesomely blinding LED flash on my phone's camera does wash the colour out a little, they're much more vibrant than they appear.

I think the colors look fine on the bottles, but could see what he was saying in the picture.
I notice when printing labels, they generally come out lighter/slightly off color from teh original design. I understand a GOOD printer won't do this, but to be honest we're all mostly using home or office printers for our labels.

Awesome logo. Significance??

Thanks. I used it for a small side business I ran, the 'Gremlyn' name stems from my middle name - Emlyn (it's Welsh, named for Emlyn Hughes for those that know who he was). Gremlyn became a nickname for me when I was younger and I just hung on to it. A friend of mine designed the Gremlyn itself.

As for the label as a whole, I think I will tone down the blue a little. It came out a little too purple for my tastes anyway.

I think the colors look fine on the bottles, but could see what he was saying in the picture.
I notice when printing labels, they generally come out lighter/slightly off color from teh original design. I understand a GOOD printer won't do this, but to be honest we're all mostly using home or office printers for our labels.

Colors mostly come out "wrong" due to un calibrated monitors. The printer doesn't know what the monitor is showing us. I do a lot of photo editing to calibrate I have what is called a "Huey Pro" this actually reads ambient light and you stick it on your monitor when calibrating. This reads the color output and creates a standard display that can will be represented by the printer.

The point is, if you are really picky get a Huey. If you arn't just learn what is different between your monitor and your printer. Printer quality does come into factor, but even professional prints will look "wrong" if you are creating the image on a monitor that uses/displays a different color profile than the printer or the program displaying the work.

Colors mostly come out "wrong" due to un calibrated monitors. The printer doesn't know what the monitor is showing us. I do a lot of photo editing to calibrate I have what is called a "Huey Pro" this actually reads ambient light and you stick it on your monitor when calibrating. This reads the color output and creates a standard display that can will be represented by the printer.

The point is, if you are really picky get a Huey. If you arn't just learn what is different between your monitor and your printer. Printer quality does come into factor, but even professional prints will look "wrong" if you are creating the image on a monitor that uses/displays a different color profile than the printer or the program displaying the work.

Thanks for that info. Makes perfect sense.

Back