I made Beer!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhbarc

Reaction score
I opened my primary for the first time this evening to get a SG reading because my airlock activity had all but stopped.I brewed this beer on 12/27 with my Christmas present to my self an Ultimate Brewing kit from Defalco's in Houston. I chose to brew a Saint Arnolds Christmas Ale clone. The beer looks great and taste very good as well. The SG is 1.09 my recipe suggested an initial gravity of 1.035 - 1.042 and a final gravity of 1.013 or less. My actual initial gravity was 1.047. According to Beer Smith the Alcohol%/volume is 4.95%. Does this sound right? I plan on keeping it in the primary for another week then transfer to my carboy secondary. I have read and understand that it is not thought by many necessary to rack to a secondary before bottling. However I want to use my secondary so I can minimize carry over of trub and yeast when I bottle. I was pleasantly surprised at how clear the beer was and how good it tasted. i cant wait to get it bottle aged and carbonated to see what I truly have. My first impression is that I have made at least a very drinkable beer and just maybe a great beer. I cant wait to brew my next batch. I plan on doing a partial mash Belgian Tripple. :mug:

That sounds about right for the ABV for the SG and FG readings. Just be patient with the carbing and conditioning. It turns into a different animal once bottled. As for secondary usage I use to to cold crash and clarify my beer also to reduce trub transfer to my keg.

All things being equal - i.e. if the temperatures you took the SG (1.047) and FG (1.009) reads at were the same - you have an ABV of 5.1%. I'm not a fan of secondary, although for most of the beers I brew (hefe's, amber, stouts) I don't want perfectly clear beer. Your secondary approach is fine, but the larger plus is your patience in keeping it away from bottles for a bit longer for everything to settle out and the yeast to clean up after themselves. ENJOY!

Use your secondary as a primary to brew another batch.Just sayin. Thats what i would do. An empty vessel is neglect.

Congrats on the batch!

I recommend DeFalco's Cream Ale kit, if you like the style. I've had it in a keg for about a month, and I think it is one of my favorite batches, thus far.

Use your secondary as a primary to brew another batch.Just sayin. Thats what i would do. An empty vessel is neglect.

I had not considered using my secondary as a primary for a second batch. I am some what worried about bottling from my primary (True Brew Bucket) as I will not be able to see the yeast cake. I want to minimize sediment in my bottles. Is there a method for keeping carry over to a minimum?

I take it you don't have a bottling bucket? If not, try using cheese cloth over the siphon tube hole - that should block most of the trub from getting into the bottles. How are you using priming sugar? Or are you going to use carbonation drops?

Just move the primary to a cold spot after 4 weeks or so and let it cold crash for a couple days. The trube on the bottom will be pretty solid and you will really have to work to get that up into your cane. Get a bottling bucket too.

Get a bottling bucket... I know, its another 15-20 bucks on top of everything else you've already spent... I've been there, just a few months ago. It's a spendy hobby when you get started. Trust me, if you plan on bottling for even a few months, its totally worth it.

I plan to use priming sugar. That was another reason for racking to the secondary {freeing up the bucket for bottling}. I had almost forgotten that step. I will be making a trip to Houston this weekend to get ingredients for my next batch. I will get a bottling bucket so I can keep production going. I will also be buying a nylon steeping bag for the partial mash, some Star San (my kit came with Easy Clean) and a new thermometer. Like I said above I am planning to try a Belgian Trappist Tripple Ale my next batch. This is a big beer with a target ABV of 10%. Am I being too ambitious for my second batch?

Ambition is a word for the meek... If everyone waited around for the "right" moment to create brilliant craft brews most would still be drinking BMC swill. GO FOR IT and never look back!

+1 on more primarys you can find them cheap sometimes, i found a glass vessel for5$ got a few and now brew weekly after a month ill never run out of new brews. yeah your gonna spend money at first but after you get going its as cheap as buying it at the store and less but better and more fun knowing you can make a comparably better beer than most in the store.

Back