I made a fermentor and air-lock from some bottles and straws, is it safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bongsciencebrewing

Reaction score
Hey I figured out how to make a fermenter and air-lock during the quarantine because there was a ban on alcohol sales where I am

I used this technique 3 times already to make mead and the results were pretty great

I used water jugs which only had water in them, so I did not sanitize

Also straws ganked from restaurants fresh out of their packages I just sprayed a little bit of 70% methanol on

and chewing gum, which I chewed, to make a seal around the straws and the bottle cap, sprayed that with alcohol too before screwing it on

I actually made a video about it on youtube because I was so proud of myself, so you can check that out if you want to see the details, idk how else I could describe how I did it

From what I understand this is pretty safe the way I did it, it worked great I already drank like 3 or 4 bottles with a few people and it was quite nice

Any comments on this as to safety, etc?

I think this is actually a great hack for brewing on a budget and people without easy access to brewing supplies

This is as good as it gets. At times, I don't use air lock at all & ferment with lids lightly placed on jars or covered with cling wrap. As long as everything was sanitised and healthy yeast was introduced, things work out well. Good luck.

Back