I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ischiavo great to hear from you! Looking forward to seeing pics of your work. It's inspiring to see the results of true pros.

Hydrometer broke in 2017 you've had since 1986 or so... my first I thought; that's not that long ago. Instant later Wow 31 years ago!! How time flies

Well done. Got any glass carboys from that 80's circa as well?
[emoji3]

Yes i have 7 gal and 3 gallon glass carboys. I never use them anymore. The weigh more than they used too and im more risk adverse

Is this a guava? Its white inside but likelt not ripe.

I'm guessing it is an unripened guava. Most of the ones I've seen are more pear shape. I'll check with the locals at work or my wife.

My wife currently has 144 papaya seedlings started. From seeds from our trees fruit. She's going to donate them to a plant auction. She did something similar when we lived here before and had over 300 palm tree seedlings growing from a palm tree in the yard. That girl is always growing stuff. There's a 4-5 year old gangly avocado tree growing in a container somewhere in this yard. I think. She started it from a seed too. The small yards we have are super crowded. I'm not even sure the avocado is still here or just blends into the mess.

Your own. Corn, pumpkins, green beans and sunflower. We went for corn. You pay ahead for a bucket and the limit is 48. Magically we had 48. My bad decision in all this was wearing a sleeveless shirt. Corn leaf brushing and sunburn. It's all good, just itches [emoji3]
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1508639424.078986.jpg

Nice. Is that the farm of Farrington? Bought a large pumpkin there a few years back for Halloween, must have weighed 50lbs.

That’s a good question LRB. I think we’ll need to do that. I like corn but that is a lot of corn for two people.

Corn update. Over half eaten. Gave maybe eight to the next door neighbors. I recommended to my wife we could freeze some. Nope, we’re going to eat them all fresh...:)

Whew... I must’ve drunk to much tonight. Decided to go through some old threads I’d posted on, pretty old threads; 5,6,7 years ago

Amazing I hadn’t thought about those topics in years, nor had the same earnest desire to talk in depth since then. Maybe I’m just getting old.

But I have to say. Man I had a lot to say. I got deep. [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Kiss me miss that side of me[emoji57][emoji136]🏻*♂️[emoji4]

Ok, yes I use this thread to ramble and vent
I post thoughts here to record life events
That you know me better, no Ischiavo I’m not a bed wetter
In the event I pass away
None of us are here to stay
I’m just fine don’t get me wrong
It’s through HBT I sing my song

I went from stock boy to Sailor
Nothing since has been so greater
One of my life’s best choices
Not sure my parents had the same voices

A Navy recruit to a Senior Chief Petty Officer in the United State Navy
Since I’m retired now I seem an ingredient in the gravy

Went through some great jobs after I retired.
Paid well, good workplace ; isn’t that the desired
Previous job I was ok with it
No stress, great pay and excellent benefits
No job satisfaction though
That’s the truth that you should know

So to keep my wife happy
I quit my job
Moved jobless to Hawaii
Bankruptcy happened
It was not my desire

Took me about a year to get a job
I wasn’t a local
Didn’t know how to hob knob
(Something about that last lines sounds like a sexual innuendos if you weren’t born 40-50 years ago

Anyway

So now I’m a general maintenance tech for military housing. I kind of like it. Been doing this for 2.7 years. There’s not much I can’t repair in a house these days. It’s more a matter of do I want to. But I don’t have a choice. I get my work orders each day. No matter how easy or hard. Then I complete them.

Wow this is maybe close (no not even) to my longest rambling post.

I was going to just post a bit of rhyming rambling that was brought about from a coworker who let our Flag fall raggedy. I don’t think he knows better.
Time to post it. Not great poetry but reflects my thoughts.

AND! I DID use some lyrics from JOHNNY CASH’s song The Ragged Old Flag. Forgive me Mr Cash. (Pretty sure Johnny would be ok with this)

Dan and Mel Unspoken Conversation

I walked by Van Forty the other day
And on the antenna an American Flag does stay

I said -
Your antenna is leaned a little bit
“And that's a ragged old flag you got hanging on it” JC

203 said hey 196
is this the first time you thought about this
I said I think it is
He said take a knee
Let's talk about Liberty

“I don't like to brag but I'm kinda proud of that ragged old flag” JC
So said Francis Scott Key
When he wrote Oh Say Can You See

She lead our nation through times of trouble and good times
Each morning here at Hickam Base
At eight AM we give our grace

You see Dan;
“In her own good land here
She's been abused,
She's been burned, dishonored, denied an' refused,

And she's getting thread bare, and she's wearin' thin,
But she's in good shape, for the shape she's in.
Cause she's been through the fire before
and i believe she can take a whole lot more.” JC

I said hey my friend and brother I agree
The American flag will always stand for Liberty
Respect her, love her, don't let her touch the ground
When the fabric of the flag wears out
Renew it and praise and shout
I live in the USA!
Land that I love. I'm here to stay

So I ask you Mel
Fold her up just so right
Into a triangle so each side is right.
Bury her with respect and love

And put up another USA FLAG with dignity respect and love

Mel and Dan unspoken conversation

This bit of rambling is just who I am. Mel took his raggedy flag off his truck; he realized it was disgraceful to let our flag get so torn up. But what I like to believe is he initially didn’t know better.

It really was an unspoken conversation cause I do ok righting stuff down so I have a chance to think and edit. My bad. I texted Mel.

It worked

Mahalo

Cheers !

Dan Dawson

Ok, yes I use this thread to ramble and vent
I post thoughts here to record life events
That you know me better, no Ischiavo I’m not a bed wetter
In the event I pass away
None of us are here to stay
I’m just fine don’t get me wrong
It’s through HBT I sing my song

I went from stock boy to Sailor
Nothing since has been so greater
One of my life’s best choices
Not sure my parents had the same voices

A Navy recruit to a Senior Chief Petty Officer in the United State Navy
Since I’m retired now I seem an ingredient in the gravy

Went through some great jobs after I retired.
Paid well, good workplace ; isn’t that the desired
Previous job I was ok with it
No stress, great pay and excellent benefits
No job satisfaction though
That’s the truth that you should know

So to keep my wife happy
I quit my job
Moved jobless to Hawaii
Bankruptcy happened
It was not my desire

Took me about a year to get a job
I wasn’t a local
Didn’t know how to hob knob
(Something about that last lines sounds like a sexual innuendos if you weren’t born 40-50 years ago

Anyway

So now I’m a general maintenance tech for military housing. I kind of like it. Been doing this for 2.7 years. There’s not much I can’t repair in a house these days. It’s more a matter of do I want to. But I don’t have a choice. I get my work orders each day. No matter how easy or hard. Then I complete them.

Wow this is maybe close (no not even) to my longest rambling post.

I was going to just post a bit of rhyming rambling that was brought about from a coworker who let our Flag fall raggedy. I don’t think he knows better.
Time to post it. Not great poetry but reflects my thoughts.

AND! I DID use some lyrics from JOHNNY CASH’s song The Ragged Old Flag. Forgive me Mr Cash. (Pretty sure Johnny would be ok with this)

Dan and Mel Unspoken Conversation

I walked by Van Forty the other day
And on the antenna an American Flag does stay

I said -
Your antenna is leaned a little bit
“And that's a ragged old flag you got hanging on it” JC

203 said hey 196
is this the first time you thought about this
I said I think it is
He said take a knee
Let's talk about Liberty

“I don't like to brag but I'm kinda proud of that ragged old flag” JC
So said Francis Scott Key
When he wrote Oh Say Can You See

She lead our nation through times of trouble and good times
Each morning here at Hickam Base
At eight AM we give our grace

You see Dan;
“In her own good land here
She's been abused,
She's been burned, dishonored, denied an' refused,

And she's getting thread bare, and she's wearin' thin,
But she's in good shape, for the shape she's in.
Cause she's been through the fire before
and i believe she can take a whole lot more.” JC

I said hey my friend and brother I agree
The American flag will always stand for Liberty
Respect her, love her, don't let her touch the ground
When the fabric of the flag wears out
Renew it and praise and shout
I live in the USA!
Land that I love. I'm here to stay

So I ask you Mel
Fold her up just so right
Into a triangle so each side is right.
Bury her with respect and love

And put up another USA FLAG with dignity respect and love

Mel and Dan unspoken conversation

Whoops. I seem to be bogarting this thread again. Been puttering around the house this weekend. We spent most of today cleaning up the front yard...not trash, nothing like that. My wife Lives to plant stuff but the woman has no concept of spacial arrangement. Swear to God when we lived in Cali she tried to plant Redwoods I our backyard. So today was a needed day to clear the yard ups little.
Cheers to you all. Freaking Christmas shows have already started. This year I might just embrace it all....maybe

Been reading Stan Hieronymus’ For the Love of Hops book. Well written, and an interesting look into our leetle green friends...

I️ threw some hop stems in the ground here in Hawaii. They grew great but no flavor. Apparently they need to Endure winter cold crash [emoji3] to be flavorful

I️ think my wife planted ours about three years ago. It’s not taller than the fence yet but produces lots of beans. Not sure now big the trees get.

I️ think my wife planted ours about three years ago. It’s not taller than the fence yet but produces lots of beans. Not sure now big the trees get.

Wikipedia says 10-11’ tall. And they don’t like freezing, so I probably can’t put one in here in Georgia. Unless maybe a potted one... hmm

photo.php
Hey guys! Hope all is well. Just thought I'd try posting with this new forum upgrade. It's a little different but I can dig it.

My wife is a true success in her photography business now because she just took me on a free trip to Mexico to shoot a wedding;) I was the assistant. I probably "worked" 12 hours of the 5 days we were there and I always had a beer handy at "work":)

We had a full free day so we went to see chichen itza. What an awesome place. It was worth the 12 hour day. The resort was beautiful. We stayed at the azul 5 in playa del Carmen. It is so cold in the UP now. It's gonna be harder to get through the winter now I think...

photo.php

Last edited:
It says I do not have permission to view the gallery.

An easy way to post pictures with the new forum software is to simply drag the file from your desktop and drop it in the post field. Then it will ask if you want to post a thumbnail or a full size of the picture.

You don't see a picture at all? I usually post from my phone so that seems to complicate things a bit. Probably more so as my phone is a little dated. Things seem to change hourly with the upgrade going on. I'm sure I set my media to public. I'll check.

Hope you all have a beer in hand. Happy Thanksgiving.

You don't see a picture at all? I usually post from my phone so that seems to complicate things a bit. Probably more so as my phone is a little dated. Things seem to change hourly with the upgrade going on. I'm sure I set my media to public. I'll check.

Hope you all have a beer in hand. Happy Thanksgiving.

The pictures have an icon with a "x" through it, but its probably due to getting the mobile app straightened out with the software.

Not quite sure how I️ found the path back (the look). But glad you all did and caught up

Happy days to you all. This sight we enjoy as HBT changes, we do too in tech. But beyond that we’re still brothers and sisters getting through this life. Celebrating the good times and sharing the bad and everything in between

Cheers friends!

Truly
Danny

Not quite sure how I️ found the path back (the look). But glad you all did and caught up

Happy days to you all. This sight we enjoy as HBT changes, we do too in tech. But beyond that we’re still brothers and sisters getting through this life. Celebrating the good times and sharing the bad and everything in between

Cheers friends!

Truly
Danny

We can always rely on Dan to find the positive in any situation. The world would be better with more like him.
Mahalo amigo.

We can always rely on Dan to find the positive in any situation. The world would be better with more like him.
Mahalo amigo.

As the world turns so must we

Hope had a wonderful Thanksgiving my brother! I️ hope everybody did.

Arguing with my wife, she’s arguing with me[emoji7]about Christmas lights. Oh brother!

Cheers to all!

Danny

Hey all. It's been a while since I did the shameless dad brag and posted one of my daughter's songs. She wrote this one when she was getting ready to go off to school.
Spanish Fort, AL is 1184 miles from NYU...

I️ don’t remember exactly how many years ago thumbs up were anonymous. Then thumbs up became likes and the person who liked the post was named (except on phone apps) Now thumbs up are back that show up as likes with a name attached even on the phone apps. And this app is more picture friendly.

Changes are usually a pain in the butt. This new HBT App. I️ like I️t; it’s pretty sweet and knowing this site’s authors; I️ don’t know them personally but seeing this site grow under Tex’s watch. I️t keeps getting better, and better.

Thank you to all you techno guys and girls that make this a kick butt site and to all the mods and people working out of love for this home. Mahalo to you all!

To all who contribute and confide here, who make this place so interesting and beneficial to brewing and to life. Mahalo brothas and sistas

Cheers

Dan

Last edited:
I️ don’t remember exactly how many years ago thumbs up were anonymous. Then thumbs up became likes and the person who liked the post was named (except on phone apps) Now thumbs up are back that show up as likes with a name attached even on the phone apps. And this app is more picture friendly.

Changes are usually a pain in the butt. This new HBT App. I️ like I️t; it’s pretty sweet and knowing this site’s authors; I️ don’t know them personally but seeing this site grow under Tex’s watch. I️t keeps getting better, and better.

Thank you to all you techno guys and girls that make this a kick butt site and to all the mods and people working out of love for this home. Mahalo to you all!

To all who contribute and confide here, who make this place so interesting and beneficial to brewing and to life. Mahalo brothas and sistas

Cheers

Dan

Joan Jett is such an underappreciated rocker. She's raw, like AC/DC. I always liked her. Thanks Dan!

Good evening late niters. Hope all is well. Been a while since I hung around here... hope it's alright for me to butt in.

Many of the regulars from this thread are no longer here, but some are (I see you guys right up there - howdy!).

Forum has changed quite a bit, but under the skin it's still the same. Kinda like getting a new set of duds at the mall - put those fancy clothes on, but you are still the same guy really.

For your late nite soundtrack, Tony Orlando and Dawn. When music was simple, soulful and meaningful. Not much of that anymore, except for CGVT's Caroline and such.

Back