I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our law passed. :mug:

August 22, 2014

Dear California AHA Member,

On Thursday, August 21, Governor Jerry Brown signed AB 2609, a bill to allow homebrewer organizations to host homebrew events in the state of California like the Southern California Homebrewers Festival and the AHA National Homebrewers Conference. The new law goes into effect January 1, 2015.

Thank you to everyone who communicated with legislators over the past year in support of this legislation. Particular thanks go to the bill sponsors: Assembly Members Brian Nestande, Allan Mansoor, Marie Waldron and Scott Wilk, and Senator Steve Knight, as well as Nanette Farag and Tim Townsend from Assembly Member Nestande’s staff. Thanks also to Christy Elshof and the California Homebrewers Association for spearheading this effort.

Sincerely,

Gary Glass
Director
American Homebrewers Association

Crap! I had a big long post, complete with quotes, and the app crashed.

Loved the bluegrass rap.

Dan, I'll be 48 next month, with three children. All kinds of people and things have been in an out of private places. You can handle the ol' prostate exam! Though I did chuckle at the other replies. :)

A bat flew into my enclosed breezeway the other night. I'm not scared of bats, but I did wonder about the chance it was rabid. Anyway, it found its way outside, so no rabies vaccine for me yet.

Hi friends! I hope you have all been well.

I've finally gotten a bunch of work lately. I landed a huge wood floor job that starts in a week. The last year has been really rough, but things are finally going better. I got a little scared that it was all going to come crashing down last week, though. One of my employees poked his eye with a nail. I was really worried that he did major damage, but luckily for his sake (and mine) it was just a scratch.

I hope you have all been doing well. I haven't brewed much lately, but I did start my first batch of mead a few weeks ago. I can't believe how amazing it tastes already. I used blackberries in it, so I guess that makes it a melomel (sp?)..

I feel the onset of Fall coming on, even though it's still pretty hot here. I'm ready for it. I'm tired of watering and mowing the lawn at this point. I've had my first Oktoberfest lagering since April, so I'm looking forward to that.

Well, take care friends!
Cheers!

Random ? But what do most of you fine folks add to your cabbage while making sauerkraut? I started a batch today but I'm nervous it might turn out a little salty.

Hey guys. Sound like all is well for the most part. Dan didn't burn in the fire, Ischiavo has a good bit of wine put up, LRB has some new homebrewing events to look forward to thanks to new legislation, Sharona lost a big post though (that always sucks :( ) and things are finally turning around for Stauff.

Been getting more hops put up. I have a few pounds now. I needed to restock on homegrown, I let them go last year. I needed to use up old stock. Things are going well with the new lady friend. She's interested in seeing the brewing process so I'm planning up a 5 gallon batch to break her in. I need to brew anyway.

She listens to a little bit of country music. Luckily not too much :) Found this one on her MP3 player.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Just salt. I can't taste the salt in my kraut, so I guess I don't use too much. How much salt did you add?

Good question.....I used probably about 6-7 good size pinches for about 5 lbs of cabbage. I didn't really follow any recipe measurements. I guess if this batch is too salty it give me a reason to start a second batch ;)

Dan, I'll be 48 next month, with three children. All kinds of people and things have been in an out of private places.

A bat flew into my enclosed breezeway the other night. I'm not scared of bats, but I did wonder about the chance it was rabid. Anyway, it found its way outside, so no rabies vaccine for me yet.

I think you got other issues than rabid bats.

I think you got other issues than rabid bats.

Hi friends! I hope you have all been well.

I've finally gotten a bunch of work lately. I landed a huge wood floor job that starts in a week. The last year has been really rough, but things are finally going better. I got a little scared that it was all going to come crashing down last week, though. One of my employees poked his eye with a nail. I was really worried that he did major damage, but luckily for his sake (and mine) it was just a scratch.

I hope you have all been doing well. I haven't brewed much lately, but I did start my first batch of mead a few weeks ago. I can't believe how amazing it tastes already. I used blackberries in it, so I guess that makes it a melomel (sp?)..

I feel the onset of Fall coming on, even though it's still pretty hot here. I'm ready for it. I'm tired of watering and mowing the lawn at this point. I've had my first Oktoberfest lagering since April, so I'm looking forward to that.

Well, take care friends!

Cheers!

Mike! Man super happy to hear from you. Good to hear work picked back up for you. No way to keep a good man down :)

Your friend

Cheers!
Dan
A

Cheers!

Kana

Hey guys. Sound like all is well for the most part. Dan didn't burn in the fire, Ischiavo has a good bit of wine put up, LRB has some new homebrewing events to look forward to thanks to new legislation, Sharona lost a big post though (that always sucks :( ) and things are finally turning around for Stauff.

Been getting more hops put up. I have a few pounds now. I needed to restock on homegrown, I let them go last year. I needed to use up old stock. Things are going well with the new lady friend. She's interested in seeing the brewing process so I'm planning up a 5 gallon batch to break her in. I need to brew anyway.

She listens to a little bit of country music. Luckily not too much :) Found this one on her MP3 player.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4NHs3Ct0PA

BBl, I always miss when you get busy and don't have time to post. What I love though is when you do you always give some Cliff notes on the last few pages. Helps me catch up to

I hope all works out with your hops and new lady friend. Pretty sure she's hot and you just got lucky. ;)
Cheer brother!

Cheers!

Kana

Many members on HBT, living in many different different Time zones. I propose a toast to HBT every Saturday @8 pm / 2000 hours BASED ON YOUR TIME ZONE.

It means for potentially 24 hours the same or similar cheer will be given

If you're at work or abstaining just lift a soda or something. :)

Each Saturday at 8pm / 2000 hours

Let's toast:

"To HBT and the good people here
I lift my glass to you in good CHEER! "

Or something in your own words.

Eight PM every Saturday night

Cheers!

Kana

Our law passed. :mug:

August 22, 2014

Dear California AHA Member,

On Thursday, August 21, Governor Jerry Brown signed AB 2609, a bill to allow homebrewer organizations to host homebrew events in the state of California like the Southern California Homebrewers Festival and the AHA National Homebrewers Conference. The new law goes into effect January 1, 2015.

Thank you to everyone who communicated with legislators over the past year in support of this legislation. Particular thanks go to the bill sponsors: Assembly Members Brian Nestande, Allan Mansoor, Marie Waldron and Scott Wilk, and Senator Steve Knight, as well as Nanette Farag and Tim Townsend from Assembly Member Nestande’s staff. Thanks also to Christy Elshof and the California Homebrewers Association for spearheading this effort.

Sincerely,

Gary Glass

Director

American Homebrewers Association

LRB, congrats !

I think a lot of Californian home brewers owe you a huge thanks for the effort you have put into this.

Cheers and congrats to you Alapaki!

Cheers!

Kana

LRB, congrats !

I think a lot of Californian home brewers owe you a huge thanks for the effort you have put into this.

Cheers and congrats to you Alapaki!

Cheers!

Kana

Ha! Alapaki! I like it.

!!!rat pki.jpg

!!alpaki.jpg

^^^
Link didn't work well. Wanted me to open in YouTube when I try to view it (for all I know, even when I click on my last HBT the video comes right up but I don't know if others are directed to play it in YouTube)

Not as easy as it used to be to post a YouTube link. I have a whole thread based on a common like and ease of posting YouTube links

Something not right lately.

Cheers!
Kana

Hope all is well! Been super busy and haven't had time to keep up with this thread!

I hope ya'll are enjoying family, the last minutes of summer, and a nice cold one!

My friend shared this with me today, hope someone didn't post it since I've been gone! Louisiana disappointed me... But I'll take Pennsylvanias spot!

http://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/every-state-in-the-usa-ranked-by-its-beer

Mines Kimo. I'll take it. It's better than Leona......:D

Don't make me beat you up;). My wife's is Nikita. I like that. I know I have some obscure song in my collection with her name in the lyrics but I cannot find it. Its not Elton John and I'm done searching.

I thought it might have been Dandelion...well here is one of theirs anyway:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine's Leona. That sucks. That's a girls name. Kids used to tease me back in grade school and call me that...before I beat em up;)

Happy this time of night everyone.

Hahaha. :). My wife and I have different names in English but the same in Hawaiian. Don't feel too bad Leona

Cheers!
Kana

Sin. My wife sometimes says why are you giving me I've cream at night - do you want to make me fat?

Savior. My wife was pissed at me when she got home from work today. Probably the effects of a bad workday or maybe it was because of a recent dream she told me about where I did something wrong. Huh? What?!

"Babe, you want some ice cream?"

- No!

"I'm having some"

- We'll ok, if you're having some, Yes Mmn. This is really good. Why do you love me so much?

Wives! ???

Hats off to BYO magazine. I was looking into re-subscribing my account and a gift subscription and was advised to wait and save. Class act.

Thank you for your email.

I apologize for any confusion. Renewals at this time will be under our standard rates and offers, so $33 would cover only one of the two subscriptions; the 2-for-1 offer you took advantage of last year has not been made available for this year just yet. We'll likely have a similar offer within the next 6 to 8 weeks, so you may want to wait on renewal for a little while. Both you and XXXX are good through the December 2014 issue, so you have plenty of time before you need to worry about any lapse.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thank you,
Nick
Customer Service

I put up a cheap TV antenna this evening (nice to have a bucket truck). We are done with our lousy city cable. I aimed it a few times and came up with 16 channels. Funny, the first thing that came on was an ad talking about getting rid of free TV broadcasting. I guess I'll have to write my congressman. We stream most video but I hope I can watch some Packers now.

Cable TV is overpriced and over-rated. Good on you Leona. ( ;) ) for sourcing the airwaves for free. In this day and age it's akin to hunting your own food, I think.

Anybody watch " Foyle's War"?
Another English show I've been hooked on the last few years. I'm not sure if it's considered a soap-opera or prime time. Great show though.

I wish the show's Detective Chief Superintendent Foyle (if he were real ; I haven't lost track of all reality) posted on the Riddle Thread. The character is pretty freaking sharp. Not Unlike many who post on my favorite thread

Cheers !

I put up a cheap TV antenna this evening (nice to have a bucket truck). We are done with our lousy city cable. I aimed it a few times and came up with 16 channels. Funny, the first thing that came on was an ad talking about getting rid of free TV broadcasting. I guess I'll have to write my congressman. We stream most video but I hope I can watch some Packers now.

I added a big VHF and a big UHF antennas to my chimney a long time ago. I get a lot of channels, some of them in HD. We also have cable, which I'd love to get rid of (I don't watch any of it) but my family has their stuff.

You might be able to pay for online streaming of packers games. I can do that with baseball.

We also have cable, which I'd love to get rid of (I don't watch any of it) but my family has their stuff.

I hope my editing quote of PP's post worked using my phone.

I got rid of cable for a a while. Netflix has what I want; all I need. I could very well loose my Man card for saying this but I don't watch sports on TV.

We have basic cable again , cost wise the cable company makes it hard not to add the TV option. Use them for internet only cost only $10 less than using them for internet and basic cable

Hail to the free airwaves and those who still use them.

Cable is nearly as big of a rip off as Hawaiian Electric. Hawaii is in the very top percentage cost wise for electricity in the nation Only Alaska is near/maybe a little above or about the cost per kW. Hawaii electric is antiquated. By their own admission.

Recently their public affairs office proclaimed they would cut consumers cost by 20% and allow a 3 times growth rate in home owner solar - Great!

Oh by the way, this will take affect in 2030!

Their plan is to go green , which apparently takes 15 years. I think they should go nuclear.

I added a big VHF and a big UHF antennas to my chimney a long time ago. I get a lot of channels, some of them in HD. We also have cable, which I'd love to get rid of (I don't watch any of it) but my family has their stuff.

You might be able to pay for online streaming of packers games. I can do that with baseball.
I know, I never watched our cable other than football. We have been having it shut off for the last few summers. It's off for good now. I watched PBS for a few hours last night. They had some good documentaries on.

If we don't get packer games, maybey I'll look into streaming or just have Nikita drop me off at the bar for a few hours. We are actually doing some work for a guy who is reopening a bar/restaurant. He is a packer fan and is installing many big screens.

Ischiavo, first off I can spell your name and I've spelled it correctly enough times my spell check corrects my mistake. Sc is pretty smart

Crap ! I lost my train of thought. An un -used mind becomes lazy. That's me

Ischiavo, first off I can spell your name and I've spelled it correctly enough times my spell check corrects my mistake. Sc is pretty smart

Crap ! I lost my train of thought. An un -used mind becomes lazy. That's me

Dan, you could call me Leon or Leona if you wanted but since lschiavo is in your spell checker, that's fine too.

I wonder what you were thinking..... Sorry, dozed off for a bit. What were we talking about?

I was baking bread this morning and remembered something I'd written a few years ago.

So if you're brewing or baking this weekend, keep in mind it's an honor to have these little guys working for you! :D

“Ode to Yeast” by the Yeasty Brothers

We are Yeast and we are hungry young beasts!

We have been around longer than you have,

And we know how too feast!

There are many of us on this planet here,

We are the secret ingredient in bread, and great beer!

Of our brothers and sisters there are many of us,

Here are some of our names, pretty impressive I trust!

Saccharomyces cerevisiae, we make great ale,

Saccharomyces pastorianus, we're bottom dwellers

and we brew lager quite well!

Our Yeast family - Man, we're all pretty swell!

So the next time you decide to bake bread,

Or brew up a batch of your favorite IPA instead.

Remember the wise words that we have just spoken

It will put a smile on your face, and boost your hemoglobin!

So here’s to all of our long lost yeast cousins,

We have at least, a few trillion dozens!

Thanks go to you, and to your crew,

For all the delicious goodness, you fellows do!

:mug:

Back