I like my new Speidel fermenters a lot except for....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeque

Reaction score
I recently bought two 7.9 gal Speidel fermenters and like them very much mostly because I never have to deal with messy blowoff again and in fact I can now make 6 gal batches and still not have any blowoff. Plus they are very easy to clean compared the 6.5g Better Bottles I had been using. The problem is though that the spigots are too low and I get way too much sediment when I rack from the Speidels. I'm thinking of drilling new higher holes and using the excellent racking adapters from my Better Bottles. Have any of you other Speidel users had the same problem and found a better solution?

I don't own one yet but have been eyeing them up for a while.

Can you put some sort of a dip tube in the spigot port, creating a racking arm pointing up somewhat, keeping it above the trub line?

I recently bought two 7.9 gal Speidel fermenters and like them very much mostly because I never have to deal with messy blowoff again and in fact I can now make 6 gal batches and still not have any blowoff. Plus they are very easy to clean compared the 6.5g Better Bottles I had been using. The problem is though that the spigots are too low and I get way too much sediment when I rack from the Speidels. I'm thinking of drilling new higher holes and using the excellent racking adapters from my Better Bottles. Have any of you other Speidel users had the same problem and found a better solution?

i don't use the spigot anymore but when i did i would tilt the fermentor back so that the initial buildup of trub fell away from the spigot. this worked very well for me.

Sounds crazy to me I own 2 the 19L and the 30L and never have this problem. I whirlpool in the kettle for 20 mins . and let it rest for 45 minutes.
I transfer to the Speidel only clean wort and no trub. I actually tilt the Speidel towards the spigot to get every last drop. I think the whirlpool and rest allows me to achieve this.

Sounds crazy to me I own 2 the 19L and the 30L and never have this problem. I whirlpool in the kettle for 20 mins . and let it rest for 45 minutes.
I transfer to the Speidel only clean wort and no trub. I actually tilt the Speidel towards the spigot to get every last drop. I think the whirlpool and rest allows me to achieve this.

i did too. i tilted it back during fermentation so that most of the yeast/trub landed away from the spigot. i used to bottle straight from the spigot but i don't bottle anymore. i don't use this fermentor very much anymore, too fiddly, i use plastic buckets or my stainless brew bucket.

Have you tried rotating the spiggot? Pull put the orange piece and essentially rotate the white plastic part upside down and put the orange piece back in. It gives you about 3/4 of an inch above your sediment line. Doesn't seem like much, but it might help.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

Back