I know this has to have been asked eleventy billion times but….

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dopeybrew

Reaction score
I am in the process of fermenting my first batch of brew. On day 1(post brew) the bubbling from the air-lock was fast and furious, on day 2 it settled down to about 1 bubble per second, today (day 3) its down to one bubble released per 5 seconds. Is this good? Did I screw the pooch?

Sadly I don't know the go or what it is now, I really need more equipment.
Do I let it go until the bubbling stops/the 1-2 week timeframe that the kit suggests or is it stalled and what I got is what I got?

Cheers all:mug:

As more of the sugars are converted by the yeast fermentation will slow down. I would leave it be for two weeks then check the gravity with your hydrometer. The airlock is not the way to judge fermentation. I'm sure that your beer is going to be fine, just relax and let the yeast do their thing! Oh, and relax, don't worry, have a homebrew!!

You're fine, just leave it for a while longer (at least a week). Then take a sample using cleaned and sanitized equipment. Use your hydrometer to take a reading and make a note. Repeat that process 3 times and when you've got the same number you're ready to bottle.

The yeast is probably still in the attenuative phase and are probably starting into the conditioning phase where they're cleaning up the beer. It won't hurt to wait 2 even 3 weeks.

Welcome to home brewing.

You answered your own question when you said that it was bubbling "fast and furious" on day1 :)

You're fine. The rapid bubbling on day 1 says that the yeast was going to work and doing what it needs to do. I've had beers finish their initial fermentation in 3 days, so what you're reporting is completely normal. RDWHAHB, and let it keep going as your kit instructions suggest.

Cheers!
Bryan

Your fermentation started and is now beginning to slow as the yeast finish cleaning up the remaining sugars.

Fast and furious may be an indication that the wort temperature was to high unless you were using a Belgian saison yeast.

Begin taking hydrometer readings at week two. Stable hydrometer readings will tell you when fermentation is complete or your fermentation stalled.

Add a few more days for the yeast to clean up off flavors produced before going to bottling.

I am waiting on my hydrometer to be ordered and then delivered, I know real smart.

Your fermentation started and is now beginning to slow as the yeast finish cleaning up the remaining sugars.

Fast and furious may be an indication that the wort temperature was to high unless you were using a Belgian saison yeast.

Begin taking hydrometer readings at week two. Stable hydrometer readings will tell you when fermentation is complete or your fermentation stalled.

Add a few more days for the yeast to clean up off flavors produced before going to bottling.

The temp was at the higher end(68.5f) of what the destructions said to be at(70f max). Sooooo I really do need to get me one of these hydrometer things….. Off to do more shopping :mug:

The high end of the yeast was 70 degrees?!? What kind of yeast were you using? Most of the Wyeasts have a high end of mid 70's so I'm being completely curious.

As for needing more beer equipment....welcome to the hobby!!! I'm looking to get another 15 gallon pot for my all grain and a chugger pump or two.

The high end of the yeast was 70 degrees?!? What kind of yeast were you using? Most of the Wyeasts have a high end of mid 70's so I'm being completely curious.

As for needing more beer equipment....welcome to the hobby!!! I'm looking to get another 15 gallon pot for my all grain and a chugger pump or two.

It was 75f not 70, oops and its a Nottingham Ale brewer's yeast(according to the destructions)
Again according to the destructions(for the one gallon) yeast will be happiest in the 60-75f range. It wanted me to cool the wort down to 70 max prior to pitching the yeast. So thats what I did :)

Sounds like you fermented right where you needed to be. Also your lag time was low like you want it to be so good job on pitching the correct amount. I'm thinking you'll be enjoying some good beer in the near future!

Back