I keg but want to send someone a sample...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McDegga

Reaction score
I keg my brews, but I'd like to be able to send someone a sample. Anyone have any ideas short of bottling a small amount with priming sugar etc? I'd like to send some of my recent oatmeal stout to my parents. Any help would be appreciated!
-E

I keg my brews, but I'd like to be able to send someone a sample. Anyone have any ideas short of bottling a small amount with priming sugar etc? I'd like to send some of my recent oatmeal stout to my parents. Any help would be appreciated!
-E

You know, the easiest thing would be to use the BMBF, short for the Biermuncher bottle filler. (Search for the thread, "We don't need no stinking beergun"). I use it, and will use it tomorrow to fill a few bottles for a friend. You can fill beer bottles, growlers, plastic soda bottles, etc. and it works GREAT!

Edit- here is the thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/

Read the first 1/4 or so, and Bobby M has a video demonstration posted in his post.

I am just a noob here...

But you can try the carb tabs.

I just brewed my first batch in 13 years. Getting a pal started in the hobby. He lacks patience. Anyhow did an Edme English IPA Kit (6 gal) reduced to 5.

Used the carb tabs to prime. Two weeks ago this coming Sunday. I had one bottle one at one week and one tonight. Got a good hiss on opening. Almost no head. Very little bubbles. But the beer is good nonetheless. I have 45 more bottles of this beer, will check on the progress weekly. But for your needs the carbtabs should suit you fine.

BTW, my buddy is out of the beer we made. We should be bottling the second batch tomorrow. The True Brew Irish Stout. With my own little twist to it.

YooperBrew, Cool, I'll check out the thread in a minute...

I just started brewing again a few months ago after a 13 year hiatus... The bug has really caught me good this time. I'm brewing straight to kegs this go around as I just couldn't stand the bottles and bottling process. It just took all of the fun out of it for me. Kegging is a blast, and it's nice to be able to pull a beer at a moments notice and have a taste. My neighbors love it, too!

NHRacer, my Stout is carbonated already (that's part of the challenge) since it's tapped and quickly draining.

Thanks again, this forum is great, especially for a rusty putz like me!

-E

YooperBrew, Cool, I'll check out the thread in a minute...

I just started brewing again a few months ago after a 13 year hiatus... The bug has really caught me good this time. I'm brewing straight to kegs this go around as I just couldn't stand the bottles and bottling process. It just took all of the fun out of it for me. Kegging is a blast, and it's nice to be able to pull a beer at a moments notice and have a taste. My neighbors love it, too!

NHRacer, my Stout is carbonated already (that's part of the challenge) since it's tapped and quickly draining.

Thanks again, this forum is great, especially for a rusty putz like me!

-E

COOL:ban:

My goal is move from bottles to keg.

My twist to the stout. 2 packs (1 pack for one pot) of Green Mountain Coffee Rain Forest Nut Blend. Added the grounds to the other grains in the kit and steeped per instructions. What a smell it added to the wort.

Can't wait.

NHRacer -

Can you break down your 'twist' into steps that a newbie to brewing, like me, can figure out?

Are you talking about two packs of coffee, here?

If not, then what is it?

And, the two pots? Does this mean the primary and the secondary?

Sorry to be so dense!

Pogo

NHRacer,
I am drinking my oatmeal stout, and I have to say that WOW, I really love it. I live very close to Dogfish Head in Maryland, and thay serve a chickory stout that I really love. I intend to brew another stout in a month or so, and add some espresso roasted beans to the grains and go from there. I am digging the option of a little caffeine in the stout to even out the stimulation/depression factor of the alcohol. It doesn't hurt that I am a coffe nut!

YooperBrew, one of my favorite things about brewing is the 'Mad Scientist' factor, I just read the posts you recommended and if I can scale back the Rube Goldberg ideas swirling around in my pea brain, I just might be able to pull this off! Thanks so much for your guidance, I've got a clear path and it was exactly what I neede to read.
-E
:ban:

NHRacer,
I am drinking my oatmeal stout, and I have to say that WOW, I really love it. I live very close to Dogfish Head in Maryland, and thay serve a chickory stout that I really love. I intend to brew another stout in a month or so, and add some espresso roasted beans to the grains and go from there. I am digging the option of a little caffeine in the stout to even out the stimulation/depression factor of the alcohol. It doesn't hurt that I am a coffe nut!

YooperBrew, one of my favorite things about brewing is the 'Mad Scientist' factor, I just read the posts you recommended and if I can scale back the Rube Goldberg ideas swirling around in my pea brain, I just might be able to pull this off! Thanks so much for your guidance, I've got a clear path and it was exactly what I neede to read.
-E

if i can do it you can do it. i have a couple kegs and went to a friends cook out and brought a 6 pack of each which ended up being 24 beers 4 different beers and i did it that day. i havent dont this for long term storage but have read others doing this to clear a keg and they find no issues.

NHRacer -

Can you break down your 'twist' into steps that a newbie to brewing, like me, can figure out?

Are you talking about two packs of coffee, here?

If not, then what is it?

And, the two pots? Does this mean the primary and the secondary?

Sorry to be so dense!

Pogo

Pretty simple.

I used the True Brew Irish stout kit.

True Brew tm

Section 2, turning the heat off. Well I put the coffee grounds in the same bag as the grains for steeping. Follow the rest of the instructions accordingly.

The batch I mad has been fermenting 13 days.
Going to check on the progress tomorrow. If all is well, into bottles

NHRacer,

-E

OATMEAL STOUT, excellent. had some micros a few years back that were that type. Yum. I love beer. I am partial to extremely full flavored ales.

Ya know... I'm diggin' my re-found love of brewing and have a 7 keg setup (not all tapped of course) so I intend to have a wiiiide selection of brews available for my houseguests and thirsty drunken neighbors (compliment, not razz). The stout is absolutley delicious, but it has a tendency to kick one's ass-paragus if not careful. On that note, I've ordered some new yeast buddies so I can make some Apfelwein after reading all of the posts here. I just can't seem to resist it.

This coming week, I'll order the correct size stopper and bottle some beer. I hope it will ship well.

I'll let you know how it works out!

-E

This coming week, I'll order the correct size stopper and bottle some beer. I hope it will ship well.

I'll let you know how it works out!

-E

It should ship well- I've entered contests with my beer by bottling it with the BMBF. As long as you're sanitary, and try to cap on foam (to avoid oxidation), you'll be fine.

Back