I just read an interesting thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LSDracula

Reaction score
it was a hooch thread
and people were getting all crazy about the underage traffic on this website
I just wanted to know what is the cutoff point in legality of underage brewing
the base ingredients and equipment are all available to anyone underage
nothing illegal about buying some malt extract, yeast, hops, and plastic injection molded equipment, buckets... etc if you are 19
where is the cut off point where it becomes illegal
is it when a minor puts the yeast in the wort... then they are no longer aloud to touch it
I don't get it?

I really wouldn't normally put much consideration into this thought but there was a 9 page thread about blasting this member who may or may not have been a minor (he said he was 47) who wanted a recipe for some legit hooch (I guess he meant prison toilet wine style hooch not the distilled moonshine kind)

I dunno I guess it's kinda ironic that the first homebrew I ever tried was from my sisters boyfriend, he was 17 at the time

BTW his brew tasted like crap (it was a Mr. Beer brew)

1. Possession or consumption of alcohol is illegal in the US for anyone under the age of 21
  2. Participation on this forum is restricted to those 21 and over, if they are posting from the US
  3. Possessing, purchasing, or transporting brewing equipment is legal for anyone in the US of any age
  4. Threads about hooch, prison wine, pruno, or other topics that generally relate to getting drunk on the cheap are not allowed on HBT

It becomes illegal once the yeast is pitched. After that the wort legally becomes beer instead of barley sugar water. Sure the ingredients themselves are legal to have, but good luck finding a LHBS that will sell them to people under 21.

We talk about making fine tasting beer, mead, wine, and ciders here, not making booze on the cheap. That's easily found on 'other' sites or usenet.

It becomes illegal once the yeast is pitched. After that the wort legally becomes beer instead of barley sugar water. Sure the ingredients themselves are legal to have, but good luck finding a LHBS that will sell them to people under 21.

I would imagine one could get ingredients on the interweb pretty easily under 21.

Realistically there are probably a few members here who are under 21. The smart ones keep their mouth shut, or don't give it away.

The dumb ones put their real age in their profile, or their mannerisms cause one of us to google their user name only to find that they are 16 on MYSPACE.

We are a community of people that helps each other out. There is some implied trust in that relationship. If you ask a question, you have trust that we are all answering with your best intentions in mind.

If someone is underage and asks for help they are knowingly taking advantage of that trust. They are placing the community at risk.

We don't encourage anyone to talk about illegal behavior nor do we knowingly assist someone in doing so.

It's also illegal to homebrew in KY, MS, AL, and OK. Should those people not be allowed to post or contribute to the forum?

Just sayin'.

All the legal issues aside.......Nobody here wants to read posts made by marginally post-pubescent asshats with an IQ lower than their mental age. No matter how much they know about distilling the contents of last night's sock-wank into a Harvey Wallbanger style prison hooch, we don't need to hear it.......Not ever!

All the legal issues aside.......Nobody here wants to read posts made by marginally post-pubescent asshats with an IQ lower than their mental age. No matter how much they know about distilling the contents of last night's sock-wank into a Harvey Wallbanger style prison hooch, we don't need to hear it.......Not ever!

LOL! good point

asshats... they suck don't they

Hehehe....touche.

I agree that it would lead to an increase in immaturity and all that jazz. But, when you're mature like me :)rolleyes:) and concoct this huge story about studying for my Ph.D and already being married with a 4 year old and even get Yooper to buy it ;), then it's ok!

True stories though: a) It's actually pretty easy to buy ingredients underage.
b) The guy who introduced me to homebrewing started when he was 19. He even won awards when he was only 20, now he's 21 and works at the store that used to sell him ingredients. He also won a gold at Nationals this past year - the example that even if you're underage, you can be mature about it, educate yourself to the best of your abilities, and no one would ever know.

Forum rules aside for a moment, I'd say minors homebrewing is kinda like working on a car when you're under 16(or the legal driving age in your state/country). It's a great way to learn new things, and possibly build a career for yourself; or at least save yourself a crap load of money in the long run...but if you're an idiot about it then it's gonna be trouble.

1. Threads about hooch, prison wine, pruno, or other topics that generally relate to getting drunk on the cheap are not allowed on HBT

Isn't that what apfelwein is though
I know people are going to hate me for saying this but isn't $30 worth of apple juice and dextrose used to make a 9% abv cider the same thing as hooch
is the difference using wine yeast and not bread yeast or simply moldy bread
what about naturally fermented hard cider
I think there may actually be a craft to making hooch the process is interesting to me at least
I read that some of our boys in the war have resorted to making hooch because alcohol isn't sold in parts of the middle east

BTW I have a batch of Apfelwein in a primary right now

All of these issues may be "gray areas" for any one of us individually, but in this community, on this board, we have pretty clearly and consistently established the rules.

Apfelwein has a lower ABV than wine. The additional dextrose does not make it out of balance in the least.

There is no merit to furthering this conversation. No amount of debate will change the forum rules.

Apfelwein is a successful attempt to brew something similar to a traditional German beverage. Sugar doesn't make hooch, senselessly fermented garbage makes hooch.

Hehehe....touche.

I agree that it would lead to an increase in immaturity and all that jazz. But, when you're mature like me :)rolleyes:) and concoct this huge story about studying for my Ph.D and already being married with a 4 year old and even get Yooper to buy it ;), then it's ok!

Not only buy the story, but buy the beer as well! :rockin:

Gotta say, most people who are underage don't have the patience to actually brew beer....lot easier to bribe the town drunk or an older sibling to buy the hooch.

IMO anyone who has the patience to brew is mature enough to drink it.

Not that I'm condoning anything illegal...ahem...

Gotta say, most people who are underage don't have the patience to actually brew beer....lot easier to bribe the town drunk or an older sibling to buy the hooch.

that makes alot of sense
I know that 8-9 years ago I wouldn't wait 16 weeks (maybe longer) to drink a bottle of apfelwein
I would drink it as soon as it was done fementing
and then go to school
I was a very irresponsible youth :rolleyes:

I agree 100%

The age is 21 only because your state doesn't want to lose federal highway funding. Personally, I think the drinking age should be pushed back to something like 23-25.

Back