I Just Picked Up A Twelver of Pabst APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZCoolerBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I just picked up some Pabst APA and it’s not too bad. When it comes to AB Inbev and MillerCoors I’m not a fan of the marketing strategies and the like, but I don’t mind the beer. I prefer my own PAs and I also like Mirror Pond better, but this beer is definitely crushable. It could just be that I like the history of Pabst. When I buy a not “lite” lager BMC it is Pabst. So it might be a little confirmation bias. The website says European and American hops. Seems like a Cascade type hop to me, I don’t get much Noble hops maybe Saaz, but nothing that is very distinctive.

I would say macro beer. The hop flavor was interesting, different in its own way like they took 20 different hops and blended them together into a nondescript hop flavor. It wasn’t bad, but not really good either. I bought some Four Peaks Sunbrü at the same time and even though Four Peaks is now owned by ABinbev, I would rate the Sunbrü higher than the Pabst APA, but if all I had to choose from was a Bud Light, a Miller Highlife, a Coors Light, a Michelob Ultra or a Pabst APA, I would definitely take the APA.

I grabbed a four pack of these, too, and I've gotta say, the beer is better than it could be. It's also worse than it could be, but it's better than I expected. However, I doubt I'll buy this again, as a seven dollar four pack is way too much for anything with "Pabst" on it, and the taste doesn't reflect that price point. If the beer was better or the price was lower, I might pick this up occasionally, but they're reaching a bit, IMO. I wouldn't refuse one if offered, though.

I grabbed a four pack of these, too, and I've gotta say, the beer is better than it could be. It's also worse than it could be, but it's better than I expected. However, I doubt I'll buy this again, as a seven dollar four pack is way too much for anything with "Pabst" on it, and the taste doesn't reflect that price point. If the beer was better or the price was lower, I might pick this up occasionally, but they're reaching a bit, IMO. I wouldn't refuse one if offered, though.

I agree. I’m not sure that long term this beer can compete with other craft beers at craft beer prices, but if the price comes down a little, I’d probably buy it again.

I had a few of those at the Carolina Rebellion the other weekend. I thought it was pretty decent for what it is. Definitely better than any thing else they had to offer there.

I picked up a 6-pack of 16s a couple of weeks ago. Nine bucks. Most craft beers around here, in 12 oz 6-packs, are $8-12, so the Pabst wasn't high priced.

I actually liked it. It's not a generic, macro beer.

lJ5mk13.jpg

Back