I just found a old case of craft beer..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bratrules

Reaction score
As i was going through my garage i found a case of 10 craft beers it must be at least 8 years old. it must have been my brother and when he moved out he forgot to take it or drink it for that matter. i wonder if its still any good? has anybody here drank beer that old??:cross:

Probably no good (certainly there will no hop character left), but it shouldn't hurt you, so why not try a taste and see what you think?

A lot depends on the style of beer, ABV and storage conditions. I would imagine garage conditioning to be incredibly detrimental to flavor, but who knows.

There's a few different styles in there an IPA, Mocha stout, some brown ales and a few others. the IPA has some crap flowing around in it so i know that's no good lol but the bottles still look really cool. nice bar show piece.

If there's something super strong alcohol wise it might be ok. Things like quads, barleywines, etc.

I have had many beers that old and older. Nothing in them will kill you or harm you in any way. They might taste horrible but they could be the best thing you've ever had.

Well, that it was in a garage in southern california would concern me because of the heat factor in the storage. But it could still be ok. Its worth a try at least.

I've had some store bought craft beer that's been in my parents basement in michigan (68 degrees year round but kinda damp) when I was first able to drink and in this past year I was thinking of emptying them for the bottles (they don't drink them, I can't because of gluten and they were old) but I had a friend over who taste tested one and said that they were still pretty good, so I stuck them back into the basement. He doesn't drink much, otherwise I would have given it to him and asked for the bottles back.

We opened a couple 1999s at my last tasting. Some aged beautifully, some were crap.

Try them and see, and expect them all to age differently.

In 1992 my 2 uncles and my father brewed a couple of batches of beer. I was 15 years old and they let me help them bottle. I'll never forget that night because I had fun bottling and it was the night I finally got to 3rd base with a girl. Procedures and equipment were different back then, it was an extract with a boilover. They primaried in a bottling bucket and we got tons of sediment in the bottles. We were hanging out on my uncles pond playing hockey and ice skating,they brought the homebrews to try. They sucked!! So they stuck em in the snow. Ice cold they weren't so bad.( my father let me try 2). I kept one bottle from the first batch and kept it on my bookshelf. It sat there all through high school up until I was 23 years old. At my wedding reception we cracked it open and shared it. One of my uncles said, "wow! It still sucks!" I guess my point is if it sucked when it was first brewed it will probably suck 8 years later. But if it was good 8 years ago it might be still good now. All I know is we didn't die or get sick from the old beer, so I say try it. Sorry for the story, I got a little reminiscent there...

I was just going through my box of homebrew I keep in a closet. I usually save 1 of every batch I bottle to taste later in the year. I have a scottish which is about 10 months old and a few stouts that are only about 5 months old. Curious to see how the scottish turns out after almost a year.

Back