I joined a stupid gym today.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Decojuicer

Reaction score
I got a call yesterday that I had won a "free" gym membership at a local gym. So I went over there this morning with SWMBO. Of course, it wasn't really free. It was $8 per month each for "insurance" that couldn't be waved, and a $10 card fee. That was for 3 day a week access. For an extra $4 per month, we could get unlimited access.

So I walked out of there just over $300 lighter. At least SWMBO is happy. Maybe if I start hitting the treadmill and eliptical, I'll get laid more? I'm not sure that it's worth it.:(

I've been hitting the gym for the last year. I'm in a body contest right now, and have dropped 20 pounds for it and put on some muscle.

Honestly, I love working out now. I hated it at first, but I look forward to my workouts. I put on the headphones, and get into my own little world. Its cool to see the changes in my body, and see the growth I'm making with the weights.

Have fun with it, get healthier, and yes your wife will appreciate it and reward you justly. I know mine has :rockin:

I bought a Wii Fit and have lost 25 pounds. To each his own, good luck!

We got one just this week too! It was either $350 for wii console and balance board or $200 for some torture device that wifey was looking at. I thought what the hell! Best to fork out the extra for something we will actually use! :cross:

Only been doing it four days, but that's still longer than any other regime I've done since I was a kid. I guess i gotta look at eating better though to get any real benefit. At least, though, I already feel a bit better in the mornings.

How long did it take to lose 25#?

I know a guy named Gym! Well, he spells it differently, but you get the idea. I'll try to get myself invited over to his house three times a week. That should do the trick.

Working out is good for you. Even if you don't get laid more, you will feel better and have more confidence in yourself. You just took the first step on a very good journey.

+1 on the headphones. Makes a world of difference for me.

Working out is good for you. Even if you don't get laid more, you will feel better and have more confidence in yourself. You just took the first step on a very good journey.
Not so sure about that. Did you read the title of this thread? He joined a "Stupid" gym. All I have to do is drink a lot of homebrew and I start acting plenty stupid. No need to pay $300, join a gym and train for it. :cross:

We got one just this week too! It was either $350 for wii console and balance board or $200 for some torture device that wifey was looking at. I thought what the hell! Best to fork out the extra for something we will actually use! :cross:

Only been doing it four days, but that's still longer than any other regime I've done since I was a kid. I guess i gotta look at eating better though to get any real benefit. At least, though, I already feel a bit better in the mornings.

How long did it take to lose 25#?

About 3 months, and yes I did cut down on the nightly pigging out. I also found that the cardio was lacking in the Wii fit, so I included 20 minutes or so of riding the stationary bike everyday. I think the best thing about the Wii Fit is the feedback, being able to see your progress (or lack thereof) in a nice clean chart is amazingly motivational. Plus I was bound and determined to get rid of that fat Mii. Anyways good luck and stick with it!

Getting a personal trainer is expensive but the skills you learn from them last a lifetime. If you are a bit lost and don't know what to do, I recommend it. Trust me they are worth the $$.

I brewed a batch of beer for my trainer! :drunk:

I bought a Wii Fit and have lost 25 pounds. To each his own, good luck!
I have that, too, but I didn't stick with it for long. It was fun, but didn't seem to be that much of a workout. Maybe just because it lacks cardio unless you enjoy running in place.

I've actually gotten a better workout with Dance Dance Revolution. I look like a complete fool playing it, but once you get past the easiest levels it's a great cardio workout and can be lots of fun.

I go to a gym. I don't really enjoy going though, so I limit my sessions to 30 minutes.

I run for 10 minutes, then I do 5-6 exercises back to back. For example, you do 8 curls... then instead of taking a break, you do 8 squats or something else... then back to curls. No breaks. Every set is done to failure every time and you're changing exercises rather than taking a break. And you can be out of there in about 25 minutes if you really push yourself.

With a shower and a cool down, I can still be out of the gym in 30 minutes and it's a workout that I will feel for at least 3 or 4 days. If you ever lose motivation to work out (I know I have), the 30 minute sessions really do a lot of good for very little investment of time. The key again though is that you do every set to failure... there is no pussing out.

I only go twice a week because I'm lazy that way... and I hate not being able to move my arms to put on a jacket or tie my shoes. Drives me nuts! But it's a good work out.

After knee surgery in '99 I got roped into a 24hr deal. Spent $800 then and nothing more until a couple of years ago. Now it's $49 for a year. I've already recouped my cost and it's nice having a once a year deduction for the gym.

My attendance get sporadic at times, but I always end up going back and getting into the routine. Staying with the cardio stuff makes the sex life MUCH better. It sure is encouraging when she begs you to stop.

Last summer I lost about 45lbs just riding my bike and geocaching. Then it got cold, I got busy, and lazy. Now I need some motivation. I guess spending the money is good motivation. Also, there were some real hotties there. SWMBO says that I should just find a girl with a nice butt and get on the machine that's behind hers. Then it'll be like the carrot and stick. Except no matter how fast I run, I'll never get the carrot. LOL

Back