(I)IPA Hops Advice Needed ASAP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guidry

Reaction score
I originally set out to brew a Ruination clone. Took the recipe from the thread started by Yooper which (I think) used the recipe published in BYO. LHBS guy convinced me to change it slightly and now I need to checnge it again before I brew it. Here is the original ingredient list:

14 lbs Pale 2-row
1 lb Cara/Crystal 20L
1.75oz Magnum (14%) 60 min
1oz Centennial (9.6%) 30 min
1oz Centennial (9.6%) 10 min
1oz Centennial (9.6%) 1 min
2oz Centennial (9.6%) Dry for 7 days

WLP001

LBHS tweak was to substitute 1lb Cara/Crystal 80L for the 20L. Already done so I'm going with that. Locally, I can't get any Centennial in time to brew this weekend, so I am looking for advice on what hops to use. I want to end up with a high IBU beer this time. I am willing to change from the Magnum also if you can give me another good combination. Looking for a few good suggestions as I am not 100% what will be in stock when I get to the store. Hopefully I can match up something.

Thanks!

I happen to have some Columbus on hand. About the Summit, are you suggesting substituting that in place of the Magnum?

Just rambling here...not sure why they suggested you add C80, ruination is far too light in color to have much if any C80 in it.

Almost 2 oz of Magnum @ 60 min should give you plenty high IBUs. Cascade, Columbus, Summit, or Chinook should all be good, albeit not nearly the same, substitutes for Centennial, used alone or in a blend in varying quantities.

Also, as foltster said, a lb of C80 will be way darker than Ruination if you're trying to come close to a clone of it.

Just rambling here...not sure why they suggested you add C80, ruination is far too light in color to have much if any C80 in it.

Yeh, I know, but I sat there and had a couple of beers with him before gathering up the recipe. We got to talking about Ruination towards the end and I was convinced to use the 80L. Like I said, it isn't a clone anymore so I don't feel so bad about changing the hops.

Any opinions on possibly a late addition or dry hopping with Ahtanum?

Descriptions note that it has citrus and floral aroma.

I happen to have some Columbus on hand. About the Summit, are you suggesting substituting that in place of the Magnum?

You could. Summit is often used for bittering. Some people say they get an oniony/garlic flavor from them when used as a flavoring addition. Using them very late or at flame out in the boil reduces this.

You could bitter with Magnum, then hop burst with summit and columbus.

Any opinions on possibly a late addition or dry hopping with Ahtanum?

Descriptions note that it has citrus and floral aroma.

I really like ahtanum. It's a bit more earthy. If you can get it go for it. Also keep in mind what you are trying to achieve. Do you really just want high IBUs or just huge hop flavor and aroma. You can have two beers with identical grain bills at 60 IBUs and one could be very bitter with no hop aroma and the other could be balanced with really big hop flavor and aroma. If you are trying to achieve the second option, you may want to reduce the 60 minute addition. Also, 30 minute additions are a waste in my (and many other's) opinions. You don't extract the full IBU potential but still boil off most, if not all, of the flavor and aroma. I'd move that to later in the boil.

Back