I Hit the Jackpot!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
Ugh, so I brewed a couple batches on Friday. Same as always...on my electric kitchen range. The smaller batch (one of my kettles is only about 4.5 gals) was up to boiling pretty quickly...but the big batch took FOREVER. This is standard for me since I got my 32-qt pot, and I'm sick of it. I like full boils, but that was so annoying. I could cut at least an hour off my session time if it didn't take 40 minutes just to get to boil point.

So I was at Sam's Club yesterday, and WalMart (which I usually avoid like the plague on Saturday) was right next door. So SMWBO and I snuck in through the garden center, so as to avoid the hordes of redneck zombies, in hopes of finding an amaryllis bulb, and a turkey fryer for my brewing. As soon as I walk in, there it is staring me in the face...a wall of turkey fryers. And for all of $37!!!

I was floored! Welded frame, a 30-qt aluminum pot, dial thermometer...not sure about the BTU's, because it's not listed anywhere, but when I turned it up, it was roaring like a goddamned jet engine! For $37, I'm contemplating going back for another. It even comes with a wire turkey stand that I can use as a tie rack or somethin. Methinks I won't have anymore trouble getting up to boil...:rockin:

Also, I looked at WalMart's website...and they only have one listed, for $74, and the frame doesn't look nearly as sturdy as the one I have. So I think this is in-store only. But good luck finding one, as WalMart's are few and far between :p

For that price, you really should get another. Most of those burners are 55,000 BTU, which does the job.

I just got a turkey fryer from my local walmart with all the same parts you mentioned. I think I paid 60 something for it. Sound like you may have gotten the good end of a misprice. I'd buy another if I were you.:mug:

omniscientomar said:
So, I was under the impression that aluminum was bad to brew in. Anyone have any input on this?
I haven't seen any data that would convince me it is, but it is a very passionate issue with some brewers (just like sanitizing with bleach). In any case, I'm under the impression that Evan already has a brewpot so the one with the fryer is just extra. I've used mine for heating mash water.

omniscientomar said:
So, I was under the impression that aluminum was bad to brew in. Anyone have any input on this?
Nah, aluminum's ok, but stainless is better.
BTW I got the same deal at W-mart back in March, when I first started brewing. I used the aluminum pot for the first few extract batches with no problems. Then, just because, I got a 22 qt stainless pot, also at W-mart for like, $44. Now I do AG with the same burner and use the ss pot to heat water. The aluminum pot just sits there. Maybe I'll do a turkey in it this year.
FWIW, this post probably oughta be in the drunken ramblings section. :drunk:

omniscientomar said:

No not too bad.... well do you consider erection problems to be bad? :D

On the plus side, Palmer gives the OK stamp to use AL. Your good to go :ban:

omniscientomar said:

That issue has been beaten around like a rented mule. I've read similar things, but enough folks around here have used it to convince me that AL is just dandy. Cheers.:mug:

Yeah, I already have a 32-qt heavy aluminum kettle, restaurant supply quality, whereas the one that came with the fryer seems to be much lighter gauge. I'm certainly not worried about aluminum...use it all the time, and I've had no problems. Especially not in the erection department, Beersnob :p

Neddy, definitely not a misprice. The sign was there, big as day. I think they drop the prices around turkeytime.

Definitely going tonight to get another one. I should take Cheesfood's advice and "invest" in a stockpile to resell next year, but I doubt I'll feel like dealing with it.

Only problem is, now I'll have to buy another blue rhino tank. They aren't cheap---probably run just about as much as these fryers for a new filled tank.

My (electic, soon to be replaced) fryer has an aluminum liner. What I dislike about it is how easily it scratches, it's all beaten up and I've only used it twice. It'll soon be retired to duty as a hot water tank, so I won't have to stir it up, but that's still a pisser.

the_bird said:
...What I dislike about it is how easily it scratches, it's all beaten up and I've only used it twice...
Do you stir with a metal spoon? AL is ok IF you don't disturb the top oxidized layer, no metal utensils and no scouring pads.

For tanks, if you can hold off, wait until garage sell season. A lot of people are buying new grills and selling their old ones. Now, if the tank is the old style, no problem, just do this....
With a permanent black magic marker, write in big letters......
CUTTING TORCH USE ONLY.
Under law, they have to fill your tank up. The new tanks don't emit enough pressure to use with a cutting torch. Trust me, a buddy of mine who owns a propane shop told me this and I've used that many times and have never been turned away. If they really asks you what you do, you are a sculpturer.

Just thought I'd chip in my 2¢, the Walmart in Auburn, WA is selling this unit for $15.00. I purchased two this evening, they still have quite a few. It's practically theft, but the fryer matches the OP's description to a T.

Back