I have yet to see...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been on the boards quite awhile and I see some similar questions about diy or processes or theories that sound plausible on the surface, yet never seem to be repeatable, or practical, or meet some reasonableness factor or break the rules they set out to overcome.

I'm not saying these thing won't happen, can't happen. I learn new stuff every day. I'm just saying that I have yet to see these things approach mainstream or not fail the test of time.

So, if you have yet to see it, say it. If you've seen it, link it and I'll arbitrate on whether it stays on the list or not.

Haters, Enablers and Trolls stand down.

I have yet to see....

1) Someone build and use a cheaper alternative to the $25, widely available and eminently scalable (not a one-off container) corny keg.

A conical fermenter that is reliable, sturdy, and is easy to duplicate (not a lucky one-off) for a price comparable to the traditional alternatives. (buckets, carboys, better bottles)

I did buy 2 stainless fire extinguishers for $5 at a tag sale that I was seriously thinking about using instead of cornys ( but then got 10 cornys for free). I think they hold about 4 gallons , they were just water fire extinguishers and filled with air from a compressor to charge. So they have an air in, a liquid out with dip tube. It also has a built in pressure gauge. So has anyone else thought of Using anything other than a corny?

I haven't either but I've seen at least one poster try really hard to talk through alternative DIY containers that just don't add up to neither better nor cheaper than a corny. I think cornies could be priced at $50 and they'd still be the go-to solution.

Homebrewing has been around a long time, and the hobby was always in worse of condition that it is now.

Point is, people are pretty ingenius, and have worked out a lot of the best/cheapest ways to do things.

I think ingenuity in the homebrewing community peaked at the creation of the rubbermade cooler MLT.

Latest posts

Back