I have tons of whole barley, what can I do with it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanK2

Reaction score
I've got a supply of barely from a local farmer and I'm not sure how to use it for brewing. I've only brewed extracts but would like to put this stuff to use if possible. Where do I start? It's whole barley grains, like I would use for beef & barley stew.

First, you need to find out if it is malting barley. Second, be certain it is not infected with scab (Fusarium graminearum). Then read up on the malting process.

It need to be malted to use it for brewing.

You could technically still use it, but you would have to do a triple decoction recipe to get the process to take.

Is it the same as pearled barley? If so, I found out you could use that to make roasted barley in the oven. 400 degrees until it gets nice and dark, it was really nice in a stout. Filled the house with smoke though.

Has to be a malting variety, has to have high enough germination to malt...and then you have the malting process itself. My inlaws are farmers so I've toyed with this idea but you'd have to be making an awful lot of beer for it to be worthwhile.

Yes it is pearled. This is kind of what I was thinking, that I could at least toast them for some dark flavors. If I go ahead and toast them do I then need to roll them before use, or do I steep them whole?

Since it's pearled already, you can't malt it. Without malting all you can make is roasted barley or rolled barley.

Isn't pearled barley dehusked? If so, roasting won't get you the same results, it would be more like an unmalted version of Carafa Special.

Back