I have this thick, white, cotton candy looking stuff floating at the top of the ferme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jpasimio

Reaction score
So I got into brewing when my in-laws bought me a Mr. Beer kit for Christmas. I finished the first batch, then wanted to get into "real brewing" instead of the stuff that comes in a can.

So I bought the "Berry Beer" kit from morebeer.com and put it together yesterday. Now I have this thick, white, cotton candy looking stuff floating at the top of the fermenter (about an inch thick). I also already have about two inches of sediment on the bottom. Is this normal, cuz its freaking me out?

Both are normal and desired.

The stuff on top is called krausen and is the most visible sign that the yeast are happily fermenting your wort. In a few days it will subside and maybe disappear alltogether.

The stuff on the bottom is called trub (pronounced troob). Its a mixture of yeast cells and protein precipitate from the wort. Its also perfectly normal.

Congratulations on your beer and Wecome to HBT! :mug:

for sure. i'm definitely not trying to dissuade questions. its just that howtobrew is a fantastic reference, and will minimize freak outs. welcome to the hobby.

Whew!

Thanks for the quick feedback. You guys are so helpful. I can rest easy now knowing that my beer is ok.

Back