I have tasted the goodness ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shecky

Just an old guy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
And I am hooked.
Had my first Bell's Two Hearted Ale today at lunch (just one, don't work until later tonight). It was as good, even better, than everybody here says. Too bad this doesn't make its way to New England.

I have a new favorite IPA. Fantastic. :mug:

Bell's is readily available here in the midwest. It's a shame that it hasn't made it's way out to New England. I have a brother living in CT. Next time I visit him I'll bring you some good medicine.

Just brew your own!

Bell's Two-Hearted is 100% Centennial hops, so that's a good place to start!

I just brewed a five gallon batch 5 weeks ago. It's fantastic. Easily my favorite IPA.

Batch Size: 5.75 gal
Boil Size: 7.81 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 7.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 44.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78.0 %
Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 75.5 %
2.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 15.1 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.8 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3.8 %
0.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 1.9 %
0.50 oz Centennial [9.50%] (70 min) (First Wort HHops 15.7 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [9.50%] (20 min) Hops 8.8 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [9.50%] (15 min) Hops 7.2 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [9.50%] (10 min) Hops 5.3 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.50%] (5 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.50%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -

Been touting two-hearted to friends for a long time. Funny thing is it's in damn near every store around here, even the podunk one three miles from me out here in the sticks.

I used to say this would be my beer if stranded on an island and could have only one.

I just brewed a five gallon batch 5 weeks ago. It's fantastic. Easily my favorite IPA.

Batch Size: 5.75 gal
Boil Size: 7.81 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 7.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 44.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78.0 %
Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 75.5 %
2.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 15.1 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.8 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3.8 %
0.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 1.9 %
0.50 oz Centennial [9.50%] (70 min) (First Wort HHops 15.7 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [9.50%] (20 min) Hops 8.8 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [9.50%] (15 min) Hops 7.2 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [9.50%] (10 min) Hops 5.3 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.50%] (5 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.50%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -

I just got 7 oz of Centennial form a local brewery the other day. I'm brewing this tomorrow! :D

love this beer! ok ok ok...need to pick up a six pack tonight.

Count me in for the Two Hearted lovefest - that clone recipe of it is still the best beer I've made. Mmmm. Centy goodness. :mug:

I love this beer. Unfortunately they dont have distribution rights in NY state. Luckily there is a local beer bar that has someone drive to PA and pick us kegs of it.

2HA is the first recipe i have done twice in my relatively short brewing career.

not because I didnt like the first one :)

Count me in for the Two Hearted lovefest - that clone recipe of it is still the best beer I've made. Mmmm. Centy goodness. :mug:

Are you talking about the one in the BYO 150 classic clone recipes issue? I was thinking of making that one. Or are you talking about a different one?

I had set out to clone this one last year and the LHB did not have the hops. I found this out after I had hand crushed all the grain (before I got a mill) So I changed it up and came up with my Red Dragon IPA.
It took a Silver back in April so if you like the two-hearted give mine a shot and I'm sure you will love that one too. :mug:

Are you talking about the one in the BYO 150 classic clone recipes issue? I was thinking of making that one. Or are you talking about a different one?
I found the recipe I used somewhere on the internet (can't remember where, sorry). It's in this thread...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/bells-two-hearted-ipa-recipe-comments-52172/

..though BM's recipe in this thread looks like it'd be a great one to try.

When I made mine I did a side-by-side comparison between US-05 and S-04 yeast; next time I'd definitely stick with the US-05 as it gives a much cleaner taste, and that works a lot better with a beer as hop-fruity as this (the yeast aromas that the S-04 gave ended up tasting slightly dirty when mixed in with the Centennials). Next time I might add some Cascades too; there was some debate in the thread I posted over whether TH really is 100% Centennial, as someone suggested the brewer claimed it had Cascades too. I have no idea what the truth of it is, but I would bet a fat pile of money that an IPA with both C-hops would be delicious - and next time I'll put that hypothesis to the test.

That's pretty close to the BYO two-hearted clone, except byo uses 2-row and adds some cara-pils. The amounts are a little different too. BYO also uses all centennial, but the hop additions are more staggered.

I may try a two-hearted clone next. Good stuff.

No doubt, Two-Hearted is my favorite IPA, and possibly my favorite beer, period.

I brewed the NB extract kit, and it's very close to the real thing.

Back