I have stuff in my bottles, am I screwed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yosemite Bing

Reaction score
I bottled last week and am noticing stuff in the bottles.
Some have little black specks on the side of the bottles. Others have some streaks. Still others have "floaters" hovering around the bottom of the bottles.
Am I "screwed" Of the 30 16 oz bottles about 12 seem perfectly clear.

Most likely it's just bits of hops, irish moss and yeast and will all flocculate down over the next 2 more weeks...It's really hard to say, because most brewers (except new ones) tend to just stick their beers in the closet and come back in 3 or more weeks...So we don't really notice the activity in our bottles...But remember, the carbing/conditioning of beer in bottles acts the same ways as fermentation in carboys or buckets...the yeast sometimes even forms krauzens.

Come back to them in 2 or more weeks, and let us know...like I said more than likely it is absolutely nothing out of the ordinary...

It is probably just the yeast doing their thing. Let it sit and open one when the time is right. I wouldn't worry too much. Let taste be the deciding factor.

You mention "black stuff" a lot of time this is NOT hops or yeast, it is actually "crud" from the beer that previously lived in that bottle.

I'm not saying that it's 100% for sure that this is the cause, but often "black floaties" are caused by poor cleaning. Just pay attention next time you bottle to make sure you get all the "crap" in the bottom out.

Thoroughly rinsing a bottle immediately after you've drank it is a HUGE help to this process.

+1 on that. I've drank beer out of bottles that I found later had black crusties in it. It was actually tasty, but knowing they were in there gave me the jibblies.

Back