I have a pound of Summit Hops. What to do…

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I still have some Centennial and some Cascade and a bit of Amarillo.

But with a pound of whole summit hops that just arrived, I really want to try and work them in to my pale ale recipes. They’re supposed to be substitutable with Centennial and Cascade, but a much lower levels since they’re around 17%.

So question for you summit users:
What do you think of them?
Are they suited for bittering?
Are they suited for late additions?
And especially, are they suited for dry hopping?

Help me out hops connoisseurs…

I have 12 OZ..on the way. From what I have read is that they will be a nice sub for both Cascade and Centenial so we shall see. I think if they give close to the aroma and flavor with the high AA...they will become one hell of a nice all around HOP..good for IPA, and APA..

I will see what others think..

Jay

I too have some and was planning on doing a batch of Edwort's Pale Ale with Summit and comparing it to a batch that used Cascades, i may brew that up this weekend.

I'm just hesitant as i'll have to open a pound bag and put the remainder in ziplocks as i dont have a food saver or anything yet...

Chello said:
I too have some and was planning on doing a batch of Edwort's Pale Ale with Summit and comparing it to a batch that used Cascades, i may brew that up this weekend.

I'm just hesitant as i'll have to open a pound bag and put the remainder in ziplocks as i dont have a food saver or anything yet...

For less than $15.00, go to Target or Walmart and get the Reynolds Handi Vac system.

Here's a good read

I've used em , and I like them. Not quite Centennials bite ,but the orange note does come through. I really liked them for dry hopping. I used 1oz of Simcoe and 1oz of Summit in my IIPA dry hopping and it was like .........heaven! Wanna trade for anything? Amarillo? Oz for Oz? Pm me if interested.
Edit:
My HBS just received a new hop shipment, and they had Summit in. I bought 8 oz's. Now where's my kettle???

I have some summit that I've been meaning to use as well.

Maybe I'll do a version of LWPA with some summit. Or not.

I'm curious to know what they'd be best in...and what the characteristics are.

Here's my stab at a recipe:

Sacred Summit Pale ALe

Batch Size: 11.50 gal
Boil Size: 15.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 7.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 37.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
16.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter
2.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)

1.00 oz Summit [16.50%] (90 min) (FWH)
0.50 oz Summit [16.50%] (15 min)
0.50 oz Summit [16.50%] (5 min)
1.00 oz Summit [16.50%] (0 min)

2.00 oz Summit [16.50%] (Dry Hop 5-7 days)

Safale - 05

2 OZ Dry hop..Yummy Let us know how it turns out..Im very interested in using Summit..but I was thinking really just replacing some other american varieties for bittering until I am all out of cascade and cenntennial(hopefully not soon)

Jay

sirsloop said:
lol... thats a hell of a lot of summit...
Yeah...

But with most of it less than 15 minutes, I should get a great hoppy beer with lower (35IBU) bitterness.

I talked to a guy at a local micro yesterday and he said he used summit for late only additions and dry hopped with 3 ounces. Said it was fantastic.

Who knows, maybe summit is the cureall. High alphas and fantastic aroma characteristics.

As a brand-new all-grainer and overall newbie, I used just about 1 oz of Summit in my 5 gal. EdWort's Haus Ale.

Just tasted the hydro sample (done)... and it's hmm...hmm... hoppy!

I hope I don't screw it up going to secondary vessel (should I..?)

and you can send me a few ounces and I will help you get rid of them!

If it were me I'd double the IBU's and dryhop the hell out of it, but I'm wacky like that.

The recipe you have posted looks solid, though. I haven't used Summit myself, but I love having high aa% varieties around and may see if I can pick some up.

I look forward to hearing how this ends up should you decide to brew it.

That recipe does look good!

I used Summit once and still have plenty left over. I liked them. Much like Centennial, IMO, but with a slight tangerine/orange note to them. I got interested after a craft brewery and a brewpub in my area used them at about the same time. I liked both offereings. That was when they were a new variety and only the pros could get their hands on them. A few months later, Freshops offered them and I jumped at the chance to get some.

I see Freshops still has some. :off: I also see they have "2007 Argentina Cascade" hops. Wonder what those are like? :confused: :)

Well now I'm too eager to wait till next weekend.

I'm doing a blonde hybrid tonight so if I can get my 60-Schilling out of fermenters tomorrow, maybe I'll whip up the Sacred Summit on Sunday.

Rhoobarb said:
:off: I also see they have "2007 Argentina Cascade" hops. Wonder what those are like? :confused: :)

Continuing :off: :

These Argentinian-grown Cascades are not like American Cascade - they have a very mellow and sweet character that reminds us of lemon grass, with herbal, peppery, and spicy undertones. A versatile hop to use for ales and lagers - strangely, with its sweet/spicy aroma this hop would make a good substitute for Hallertau-type and Goldings-type hops, but not a good substitute for American Cascade!

http://www.northernbrewer.com/hop-pellets.html

BierMuncher said:
I'm doing a blonde hybrid tonight so

So.......Details, Details! :D

worthless.gif

Well, I couldn't wait.

The Summit hops were screaming at me from the freezer so I brewed up 10 gallons on Sunday. (Following a 10-gallon brew of Sterling Gold on Friday.) :ban:

I followed my recipe (posted earlier) exactly.

As I often do, I hydrated my hops in warm tap water for 30+ minutes to make sure there was no time lost to "floaties". The smell of the hops during the presoak was grassy, floral and slightly "chivy". Of course, all my hops tend to smell more like herbs than hops when they're just wet.

I hit my target right on with some volume to spare so the rice hulls must have again helped my efficiency a bit (from 72% to 76%). Normally I lose efficiency as my grain bill increases and this was a 22# bill so a bit on the heavy side for me.

I pitched in a slurry of Safale-05 from a previous batch and the activity has been strong and steady for 48 hours.

The smell now is much different. Very rich in citrus and floral aromas. Even though this is a 100% Summit recipe, it smells like there is healthy amount of Cascade and Centennial in there. This batch will get at least 2 Ounces of Summit Dry hopped.

If this beer continues to shape up like it is, Summit may be one of my hops in the garden this year.

BierMuncher said:
Well, I couldn't wait.

The Summit hops were screaming at me from the freezer so I brewed up 10 gallons on Sunday. (Following a 10-gallon brew of Sterling Gold on Friday.) :ban:

I followed my recipe (posted earlier) exactly.

As I often do, I hydrated my hops in warm tap water for 30+ minutes to make sure there was no time lost to "floaties". The smell of the hops during the presoak was grassy, floral and slightly "chivy". Of course, all my hops tend to smell more like herbs than hops when they're just wet.

I hit my target right on with some volume to spare so the rice hulls must have again helped my efficiency a bit (from 72% to 76%). Normally I lose efficiency as my grain bill increases and this was a 22# bill so a bit on the heavy side for me.

I pitched in a slurry of Safale-05 from a previous batch and the activity has been strong and steady for 48 hours.

The smell now is much different. Very rich in citrus and floral aromas. Even though this is a 100% Summit recipe, it smells like there is healthy amount of Cascade and Centennial in there. This batch will get at least 2 Ounces of Summit Dry hopped.

If this beer continues to shape up like it is, Summit may be one of my hops in the garden this year.

MMmmmmmmm..Am I glad I ordered a pound of these!! I love Cenntennial and Cascade and a high AA version is what I have been looking for..Keep us posted on the taste!! The aroma already sounds good..

J

Yeah i brewed Edworts Haus Pale Ale on sunday but used the Summits instead just to compare them. But i don't think its going to be as "perfect" of a comparison as i'd hoped.

My previous 2 batches hit 68% efficiency so thats what i was expecting. But somehow i hit about 87% on this brew, so it came out to be a lot higher of an OG than expected. So I may just dry hop it and turn it into an India Summits Pale Ale...

I've been using Summit for about a year now in my APAs and IPAs and they are awesome. I love them for flavor and aroma. The tangerine flavor is quite noticeable. Great in combination with Simcoe and Amarillo.

You are motivating me to get more - I am down to 4 ounces.

BM - you have to let us know how these all-Summit brews turn out.

yeah, i just took a sample of my Summit Pale Ale i started Sunday and WOW!!! Its fantastic! The tangerine aroma really does fill the room and the flavor is outstanding! This may turn out to be one of my favorite hops.

I think i may plug some into a blue moon clone so there would be no need to cut up an orange when guests come over!

Try a Saison, I am trying to build a recipe around this hop and I think it will fit in nicely.

Bearcat Brewmeister said:
Other than APA/IPA, any other styles that you can picture Summit in? We just stuck some in an Amber Ale, but that is not really too different.

I could see them fitting in very well in an American Wheat.

BM, going to brew a 5 gallon verion of your all summit recipe on saturday. Sounds awesome, thanks for the recipe. :mug:

Mike

I really like Summit hops..but to me they are not much like Centennial. I also don't consider cascade and centennial to be much alike either. Maybe my palette is just different. In any case, sounds like it should be a good beer.

BierMuncher said:
Mines in dry-hop stage right now.

Each day it smells a bit more "centennially". :D
I think the smell will be a bit misleading. It may have a similar aroma, but the flavor is completely different.

Great suggestions above on American Wheat. I think Summits would go awesome in there.

I gotta get back into APAs again. I seem to be stuck in malty beer season right now.

What exactly are summit hops supposed to smell like? I got 1/2 pound from freshops back in January. I immediately broke the package down and vacuum sealed them. While I was doing this, I noticed that they had kindof a skunky smell, a lot like a bag of good pot. Is this normal? I don't think freshops would send out a bad product, but since I've never used these before.... I dunno. Everything else that I got that day smelled great, but the summit was just...weird. Any thoughts on this?

:confused:

rnrchemnerd said:
What exactly are summit hops supposed to smell like? I got 1/2 pound from freshops back in January. I immediately broke the package down and vacuum sealed them. While I was doing this, I noticed that they had kindof a skunky smell, a lot like a bag of good pot. Is this normal? I don't think freshops would send out a bad product, but since I've never used these before.... I dunno. Everything else that I got that day smelled great, but the summit was just...weird. Any thoughts on this?

:confused:

They should not smell skunky. Hopefully they do not have a cheesy smell? Are they fairly green or are they yellow/brown? Is this resin inside at the base more sticky or more like dry dust?

Bearcat Brewmeister said:
I think the smell will be a bit misleading. It may have a similar aroma, but the flavor is completely different.

Gave her a taste last night (the beer that is...;)).

Yep, definite citrus aroma similar to centennial, but the flavor is more like a tangerine. Tis a nice mix.

Brewed this on Sat, second all-grain beer, and its bubbling away in the fermenter right now. Hit all my numbers(71%),the color is awesome, and it smells badass. I basiclly halved BM's recipe and made a 5 gallon batch. It is a little stronger than BM's original recipe, because it uses smaller than half batch size. It should be good beer none the less. Thanks again Beirmuncher.

Mike

edit: 71% efficiency is good for me. Last time it was 67%

Back