I have a high gravity monster on my hands

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LSDracula

Reaction score
So...
I haphazardly made a apfel/mapfel hybrid without thinking about it
here's the recipe
I combined elements of EW Apfelwein and Cheesfood Mapfelwein
5 gal Tree Top %100 apple juice
1 lb dextrose
1 lb dark brown sugar
24 oz grade A dark maple syrup
1 packet Lalvin EC-1118 yeast
2.5 tsp yeast nutrient
I plan to primary 8 weeks and bottle carb 8 weeks

Here's the problem: I didn't take into account the sugar content of maple syrup before I put this together
I didn't take an OG reading but I suspect it should be somewhere between 1.070-1.075 maybe higher
I have an idea of what my FG should be
From what I've read on the boards Lalvin 1118 ferments extremely dry so I think the FG should be less that 1.000 around 0.990-0.980

the calculations I've done on alc content calculators rate this cider somewhere between 9-11% abv based on my OG/FG assumptions
that is quite the monster brew!

What would be an appropriate OG/FG on this recipe?

Is this expectation I have for FG realistic despite the extra sugar from the syrup?
I plan to bottle carb this batch and I don't want it to blow up :tank:

EC-1118 will tolerate ABV out to 18% and in some cases even higher with stepped nutrient additions.

so in all likelyhood your brew will ferment out super dry, eat ALL the sugars and end up below 1.00 and the EC-1118 will just go to sleep. you'll be able to bottle carb no problem - just don't over do you priming sugar and you'll be fine. Sounds like it'll be good.

Back