I have a few questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbird

Reaction score
So today I brewed a nut brown ale. All went good. The only thing is after I took my wort chiller out I noticed a oily film on the wort. This was the first time using this wort chiller. I was thinking it was the oil off the copper. I washed it before I used it. Will it give the beer a off taste?

Number two. Before I pitched the yeast I had to hydrate it. There was no instructions on how to do it. I just turned the flame on very low and used 4oz of water. Stired it the whole time. Let it sit like that for 5 min the. Cooled it and pitched it in the wort. I just wan to make sure I did not kill it. Was the temp to high.

I haven't experienced the oily film, so can't help.

As far as rehydrating the yeast, the temperature you subjected it to would be the key - sounds like you didn't check the temperature. You might experiment by repeating this with just water and check the temperature. That should tell you pretty close to what it was with the yeast. You should be able to check the yeast manufacturer's website to find their recommended procedure.

How hot did it get? If it boiled with the yeast in it you're going to need more yeast cause that yeast is dead. When I rehydrate yeast I boil a quart or two of water, let it cool to 70-80 degrees, pull out a cup or two into a sanitized bowl, sprinkle the yeast packet, let it sit for 15-20 min, stir a little and pitch. Usually with beer, if I'm using dried yeast, I just sprinkle the yeast onto the cooled wort in the fermenter.

I only used 4oz of water and I don't think it was boiling. It was hot. It was on the stove for maybe 5min at the lowest I could get it the flame. I usually just pitch the yeast right in the wort also but I thought what the hell I'll do what the packet saids to do this time. If its dead can I just buy some more yeast and re-pitch it?

I only used 4oz of water and I don't think it was boiling. It was hot. It was on the stove for maybe 5min at the lowest I could get it the flame. I usually just pitch the yeast right in the wort also but I thought what the hell I'll do what the packet saids to do this time. If its dead can I just buy some more yeast and re-pitch it?

Sure you can. Dead yeast cells act as extra food for the new yeast so no problem. I'd suggest you pitch new yeast as soon as possible. If you buy more yeast and find the airlock bubbling when you get back, put the new yeast in the refrigerator for the next batch.

RM-MN said:
Sure you can. Dead yeast cells act as extra food for the new yeast so no problem. I'd suggest you pitch new yeast as soon as possible. If you buy more yeast and find the airlock bubbling when you get back, put the new yeast in the refrigerator for the next batch.

Ok so I don't have a home brew store near me but I do have a extra kit that I was not going to brew for a while. The yeast I used the first time was this one.

image-1511265068.jpg

I have this one here. Can I use it in its place? If so I will just wait till morning take a reading and pitch if needed.

image-4211363392.jpg

The oily film is probably just from the hop oils in the boil and I wouldn't worry about it!

As for the yeast, it's anybody's guess as you gave no temp but basically you are supposed to re-hydrate with 80-90F water and add the yeast to the water and let it sit for a while until it fluffs up basically. If the temp was higher than 120F it's possible you killed it off. In case you did I would use the 05 to re-pitch and I would re-hydrate properly:)

duboman said:
The oily film is probably just from the hop oils in the boil and I wouldn't worry about it!

As for the yeast, it's anybody's guess as you gave no temp but basically you are supposed to re-hydrate with 80-90F water and add the yeast to the water and let it sit for a while until it fluffs up basically. If the temp was higher than 120F it's possible you killed it off. In case you did I would use the 05 to re-pitch and I would re-hydrate properly:)

Ok thank you. I will wait overnight and see what happens. It they are dead by morning I'll re pitch. I just wanted to make sure the 05 would work well or at lest give me beer.

Ok thank you. I will wait overnight and see what happens. It they are dead by morning I'll re pitch. I just wanted to make sure the 05 would work well or at lest give me beer.

05 is a great, clean strain of yeast and works for just about most styles of beer!

Back