I have 15.5 gallon kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They can be harder to clean, but they can be used as kegs for homebrew.

Another use is to cut the top out of them and use them as "keggles".

Yeah make a keggle, cut the top out, put in a ball valve and you have a perfectly good 15.5 gallon brewpot for very little cost. They truly are the way to go, well if you can't afford a Blichman!

They can be harder to clean, but they can be used as kegs for homebrew.

Another use is to cut the top out of them and use them as "keggles".

awesome, so you know where I can find a guide on how to do that?

awesome, so you know where I can find a guide on how to do that?

Tip the keg onto it's side. Use a screwdriver to push down the silver ball valve in the center of the keg. Let the pressure off. Beer can shoot several feet, so point it where you don't mind STINKY old beer spraying.

Take a 12" piece of string. Attach a pencil to one end. Hold the other end onto the silver ball valve in the center of the keg. Pulling the string tight, and draw a 12" circle around the center of the keg.

Take a drill, and drill a small hole INSIDE the circumference of the circle (this is a double check that all the pressure is released).

Take a small (4" or so) angle grinder with a cut off blade and cut out the top, following the pencil line. Remove the top.

Take a file, sandpaper, emory cloth and/or wire brush and smooth out the edge of the cut (unless you really like stitches).

Clean that nasty thing out, and you are ready to cook. You can add a sight glass, temperature probe(s), valves, screens, filters or whatever you want at this point.

Search around the site, and you can find pics or even videos of the process.

...Search around the site, and you can find pics or even videos of the process.

Yep. We're loaded with pictures of how-to's.

Keggle_3.JPG

And if you don't want to drill holes, just use a high tech measuring device similar to mine.
Keggle_4.JPG

BM-

Everytime I see that pic i litteraly laugh out loud. Son of a *****, i don't think anyone can do that to a keg without purposely trying man.............I need to wipe tears from my eyes:mug:

Back