I hate when I'm stupid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timdsmith72

Reaction score
I usually don't rehydrate my dry yeast. Usually, I just sprinkle it on top of the wort when it's cool enough.

So yesterday, I decided to rehydrate a packet of Nottingham for the Red Rye I had just brewed. I boiled a cup of water. Put it in a measuring cup. Covered it with saran wrap. Sprinkled in the yeast once it was cool enough. Waited a while, swirled it around and poured it into the wort. THEN I realized I forgot to sanitize the measuring cup before putting the boiled water in it. :smack:
I'm hoping it'll be ok. Nothing I can do about it now....

Eh, you still put boiling water into it. If it was reasonably clean to begin with, i.e not dirty enough to protect bacteria/yeast from the elements, then the boiling water should have killed any nasties.

Yeah. That's what I'm hoping.
It was clean. Fresh out of the cabinet. Just washed a few days ago.

The water should have been hot enough to sterilize the cup. I wouldn't worry about it. It's true sanitation is important, but I think people get a little insane sometimes. I have never had an infection. Once I even put my whole arm in the fermenter (don't ask) and didn't have a problem. Mainly I think because I had been dunking my hands/arms in starsan all day.
Starsan is amazing stuff. It says at least 2 min contact, but I have found it instantaneous. I now just keep a spray bottle full of San and spray everything. I rarely soak anything in it anymore.
But back to topic, ur fine. SBRHAHB

Thanks! That's what I'm hoping! I know I got krausen in less than 12 hours. That's never happened with Notty before in my experience.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Years ago we tried with one carboy hydrated and the other not. While the fermentation started slightly quicker with the hydrated one, there was not delta on the FG nor the timing or taste. We no longer hydrate.

Back