I hate trying to find work clothes...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qhrumphf

Stay Rude, Stay Rebel, Stay SHARP
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Perhaps it's where I live (deep in the heart of goverment employee and/or government contractor office-rat-opolis), but there's almost nowhere locally where you can find decent work wear. And I mean for actually WORKING, not sitting behind a desk.

The only place left I can find is Sears (hell, it seems like it's the only place to even carry DICKIES any more), but the one or two left in the area get so little business they're not just locking some of the entrances, they're bricking em up.

And my problem, even brands I used to swear by like Carhartt seem to be falling down the falls-apart-in-a-minute fashion-clothing abyss.

I know, I know, buy online. Which is what I do. But it's infuriating when sizes change between places and you can't try something on.

And all this because I need a new belt that won't fall apart in a week of heavy use...

Am I insane? Or is it just this area? Or is it getting like this for every other blue collar schmoe out there?

I agree. Im lucky enough that my workplace gives us a yearly allotment of work shirts, coats and hats. Finding good pants is tough.

Have you tried Duluth Trading Co.? I have a two pairs of ballroom jeans that I can't even convince to look worn despite repeated abuse.

Price, quality, service: you can only pick two.
I go with quality and service and pay more.

What kind of belts are falling apart?

I get tons of funny looks being the only white guy in the store but ethnic stores often have dickies and at better prices than wal mart.

How about a Goodwill store, they have tons of used clothes, and with you being in Northern Va, you should have some decent clothing, unlike the sh*t hole Goodwill stores in my area.

People don't work anymore so there isn't a big need for work clothes...

Another brand you might try is is Red Kap. I use their industrial pants and most pairs I've had over 10 years and still wear daily.
www.fullsource.com/red-kap-work-pants/red-kap-pt20nv/

My belt is also 15 years old (quite an accomplishment for having a beer belly). Go to a leather store and spend $40. Or use terms like "solid leather" when googling.
www.leatherboundonline.com/Fishing_Leather_Printed_Belt_p/LB22.htm
www.oldschoolleather.com/HandmadeTooledLeatherBelts.htm

How about a Goodwill store, they have tons of used clothes, and with you being in Northern Va, you should have some decent clothing, unlike the sh*t hole Goodwill stores in my area.

I echo this. You can some good stuff at them up here. There are actually some pretty good furniture finds at them too. And if they do not last, you got them really cheap.

If his goodwill stores are like here they are useless unless you want knickknacks or a shirt with a butterfly collar.

If his goodwill stores are like here they are useless unless you want knickknacks or a shirt with a butterfly collar.

Mine are worthless too, but OP lives in Northern Va, alot of rich folks just giving their stuff away, everyones piss poor in my area, so the stuff goodwill gets reflects it. It All depends on which Goodwills you go to.......

Wow. Late night drunken rant, didn't expect that much response. Hah.

First off, nothing in particular about a belt, just what I needed at this particular point in time that set me off on said drunken rant...

Have you tried Duluth Trading Co.? I have a two pairs of ballroom jeans that I can't even convince to look worn despite repeated abuse.

Price, quality, service: you can only pick two.
I go with quality and service and pay more.

I hadn't but I'm looking into em now.

Walmart carries Dickies & Walls. Don't they have "farm & ranch supply stores" back east?
http://www.murdochs.com/
Regards, GF.

I'm aware Walmart carries much of what I want for cheap. Since this isn't the debate forum, I'll leave it at this: I'm a union man, and Walmart is out of the question.

As far as "farm and ranch supply" or the like, they absolutely have em on this side of the country, but not in the immediate DC area (that I've found). Closest ones I know of for sure are a couple hours away.

I get tons of funny looks being the only white guy in the store but ethnic stores often have dickies and at better prices than wal mart.

Last time I was at the mercado up the street I noticed they had a bunch of work gloves, but didn't see anything else. I'll have to take a closer look.

I love Goodwill, and yeah, I can find some great stuff in there. But never had much luck finding rugged work wear. Rather, I've found a handful of nice shirts for a couple bucks I used to have to go up to NYC and pay almost $100 a pop on top of it for (or order online for almost as much and almost certainly get a counterfeit)

People don't work anymore so there isn't a big need for work clothes...

Another brand you might try is is Red Kap. I use their industrial pants and most pairs I've had over 10 years and still wear daily.
www.fullsource.com/red-kap-work-pants/red-kap-pt20nv/

My belt is also 15 years old (quite an accomplishment for having a beer belly). Go to a leather store and spend $40. Or use terms like "solid leather" when googling.
www.leatherboundonline.com/Fishing_Leather_Printed_Belt_p/LB22.htm
www.oldschoolleather.com/HandmadeTooledLeatherBelts.htm

Hadn't heard of Red Kap. Looks like good stuff...

$10 and it will last you forever. I've had mine since October of 2001.

http://www.grunt.com/martial-arts-belt-1202

I had my eye on a 5.11 Tactical belt that looks similar and was similarly priced. I've had good luck with their stuff in the past.

Mine are worthless too, but OP lives in Northern Va, alot of rich folks just giving their stuff away, everyones piss poor in my area, so the stuff goodwill gets reflects it. It All depends on which Goodwills you go to.......

Ain't ever known many rich folk to have anything related to good work wear. The people they hire clothes are most likely like mine when I'm done and not even fit for rags.

Carhartts are the only pants that last more than a few weeks for me also. The other day I blew out a seam on my new pants, which I thought were carhartts, which was disappointing. Well I just checked the label and they're not carhartts at all. I thought they were when I bought them. That explains it.

I wish I could say that about Carhartt but the last few pairs of Carhartt pants I've had have fallen apart in a month or two. I was REALLY mad. I should have returned em since they may have just been defective. And yet I've had the same Carhartt hoodie for 10+ years that outside of a black spot from a chemical fire is as good as new.

Yeah mine still fall apart after a while, but I get a good 2 or 3 months out of em, which is way more than most pants.

I used to complain about buying work clothes all the time. I work in the oilfields and the company now makes us wear long sleeve FRC jumpsuits, even when its a freakin 110 outside!

When did have to buy them on a regular basis, carhart was my choice. Those would last for...weeks.

I used to complain about buying work clothes all the time. I work in the oilfields and the company now makes us wear long sleeve FRC jumpsuits, even when its a freakin 110 outside!

When did have to buy them on a regular basis, carhart was my choice. Those would last for...weeks.

ahhh, FR! this old pipeliner I used to work with used to say, "I'm wearin' mah eff-arrs. You kin come at me with a rose bud. Flame will just go right back at ya."

I'm a gas plant operator and we have to wear FR shirts, but not FR pants. I wear Carhartt, love them.

Have any of you tried Diamond Gusset Jeans? BigJohn works (not what I do - behind the desk) and will never buy any other jeans... they wear like steel and they are American made (important to us).
http://www.americangusset.com/
I buy belts for him custom from a guy that works in leather at a car show flea market. The belts this guy makes are not bonded leather (those fall apart) but real single piece thick leather. They wear like steel.

We are given an allotment for Flame Retardant clothing which helps but as we are not required to wear FR pants, as of yet, I never buy them on the company dime. Duluth trading company and the fire hose pants are badass. I've tried all varieties of pants from Carhartt to the cheap **** and everywhere in between. Some may last six months or a week but the fire hose pants keep going. I absolutely despise buying jeans as they are so damn expensive and a piece of #4 hard drawn copper will rip them straight down the leg the first damn day. (You should have been there for that pissed off rant!). Regardless, Duluth Trading Company has top notch gear that will last (pants in particular), but it will cost a little more. I work in the Electric utility industry where my work is outside everyday, and you have a legitimate ***** about today's clothing for the working population.
*I will put an asterik on this as well since Melana posted Made in U.S.A which should be important to us all. Duluth has China products on certain lines. I may pick up a pair from the link she mentioned to try as buying American is always a feel good, and smart habit.

Back