I Hate People

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Decojuicer

Reaction score
I really need to move into a cave up in the mountains somewhere.

Contrary to what I put in the "What Do You Do For A Living" thread, I am actually an emergency dispatcher for a police department in the metro Detroit area. Tonight is my 5th night in a row on overtime(35 hours just this week), and let me tell you about the tools that I have been dealing with. All names and locations have been changed to protect my job.

About an hour ago, I received a call from a man who says that he knows that his son is in our city, and that his son has a gambling problem, and he is sure that the kid is at a Texas Hold 'em poker game. I told him that the area where he believes his son is is all industrial. There are no restaurants, bars, or halls. He says that he has a way to know where his son's car is(I am assuming that it's some type of gps tracking device in the car), and the only reason that his son would be there is to gamble. I told him again that it is all industrial in that area, and there could very well be a private party at a business there, but we don't have probable cause to go in there and search the place.

A little while later, the guys wife calls. She says that there are 50 cars in a parking lot in a parking lot of a business in that area, and she is SURE that he son is gambling up there. I went through all of the explanations that I gave her husband, but she didn't want to accept them. She asked if she went there and saw a card game, would that be enough reason to go in and "bust the place"? Nope, sorry ma'am, but unless we witness money changing hands, there is absolutely nothing that we can do about it. So she goes on and on for a few more minutes about how we need to do something because her son has a gambling problem, blah, blah, blah. I told her that if she was that worried, she should go down there, knock on the door and drag Junior out of there by his ear. But she's scared she tells me. Then wait until he gets home and throw him out on his arse. But he's my son she says. So what would you like us to do ma'am. If we go down there and there is an illegal game going on, he is going to jail to. Not to mention that he'll probably get killed by the people putting the game on. That was when she just said, "Well, OK, if there's nothing you can do, then I understand."

While I was typing this, some (stealing Revvy's word) *****epaddle calls here complaining that somebody parked in his mothers parking spot in a private condo complex. I explained that we don't enforce parking spot complaints, that he'll have to take it up with the condo association, he gets all irate and says that if we don't go down there and move it, he will. I told him that if he does, and damages the car, or goes over there and gets into a fight, then it'll be on him. He starts screaming that it'll be on me, not him. I said that he could explain that to the booking officer and the judge.

I really hate people. If I could drink at work, it might make things a little easier to deal with.

Ha haha!

Can you buy a prepaid wireless cellphone and call some of these *****epaddles back?

THAT would be a classic way to unwind with a hombrew after a hard day.

You could call and invite junior to another card game...

I do alot of work in dispatch centers and oh the stories....

Sometimes I just like hanging out to hear the dispatchers answers as I try to figure out what the call is about...

I'm very glad my work has allowed to avoid interacting with people most of the time. Even when I had to, tell the average person THEY screwed up their computer and they'll believe you.

As a former jailor I got to meet and greet these pillars of the community. The town drunk who threw a brick through a windown and then stood there waiting for the police because it was cold. The nightly procession of DUI's, hookers and thieves. And a lot of these people stink. I mean they just pissed themselves and it wasn't the first time either. Met everything from shop lifters to murderers. It gave me a dim view of my fellow man. I had to get out of that profession.

i dont like people at all... I believe it was Decartes that said "Hell is other people"... you i have that attitude alot... i would very often like to beat them with a fork

Cheers

Here is a little follow up to that call.

About 4am, I get a 911 call from the the the manager of a bowling alley that is right in that area. I had a complete and total brain fart, and completely forgot that the bowling alley was there. We almost never go to this particular bowling alley for problems, so I usually don't even think about it. One of the dangers of dispatching is that you often forget about "the big picture" and forget about the places that have a low trouble call volume.

The 911 call had nothing to do with the gambler guy, but was some drunk that passed out on the sidewalk(we got like 7 inches of snow yesterday). The manager and I were actually laughing together at this guy.

Later on, I was telling some officers about the calls and my giant brain fart and subsequent rant about these people. He started laughing and said, " Did you know, they do charity Hold 'Em tournaments on Saturday nights?" That just led to me feeling even dumber.

I guess Junior was up there gambling. Of course, the game wasn't illegal. In fact, it sounds like he was playing for charity.

I kind of feel like a bit of a *****epaddle now.

Here is a little follow up to that call.

About 4am, I get a 911 call from the the the manager of a bowling alley that is right in that area. I had a complete and total brain fart, and completely forgot that the bowling alley was there. We almost never go to this particular bowling alley for problems, so I usually don't even think about it. One of the dangers of dispatching is that you often forget about "the big picture" and forget about the places that have a low trouble call volume.

The 911 call had nothing to do with the gambler guy, but was some drunk that passed out on the sidewalk(we got like 7 inches of snow yesterday). The manager and I were actually laughing together at this guy.

Later on, I was telling some officers about the calls and my giant brain fart and subsequent rant about these people. He started laughing and said, " Did you know, they do charity Hold 'Em tournaments on Saturday nights?" That just led to me feeling even dumber.

I guess Junior was up there gambling. Of course, the game wasn't illegal. In fact, it sounds like he was playing for charity.

I kind of feel like a bit of a *****epaddle now.

Ever thought about a blog or book about stupid callers? Seems like a funny idea to me

Brother Decojuicer. I just started my 28th year dispatching and taking 911 calls as well as 7 digit calls. I completely agree that much of the public is learning challenged. Many times I think Darwin was wrong. Some are so stupid they shouldn't be able to reproduce but they do. I have been in it so long that I am seeing third generation idiots. The area
I work in is much smaller than yours but the issues are the same.

Most of the real winners we get can't be related to the general public. We might be subject to a lible suit and worse most people would not believe us. Some of the calls we get just could not be made up even in the most fertile imaginations. We would be accused of fabricating most of them.

Facebook has a group - You called 911 for what?

Doug

Brother Decojuicer. I just started my 28th year dispatching and taking 911 calls as well as 7 digit calls. I completely agree that much of the public is learning challenged. Many times I think Darwin was wrong. Some are so stupid they shouldn't be able to reproduce but they do. I have been in it so long that I am seeing third generation idiots. The area
I work in is much smaller than yours but the issues are the same.

Most of the real winners we get can't be related to the general public. We might be subject to a lible suit and worse most people would not believe us. Some of the calls we get just could not be made up even in the most fertile imaginations. We would be accused of fabricating most of them.

Facebook has a group - You called 911 for what?

Doug

I'm in the middle of my 9th year, and I am already starting to see second generation morons. Just last week, we brought in a kid(17 or 18), and I remember thinking, "Hey, I ran arrest paperwork on your dad during my training period." Boy, the turds just don't fall far from the horse's a**.

I know what you mean about not being able to tell the really unbelievable stuff. Every once in a while, I'll tell some of my "straight"(non-law enforcement) friends about something, and they just look at me like I made it up.

FOLKS, PEOPLE ARE THAT STUPID

I have taken calls where even I had to play the recording, just to make sure that they really said what I thought they said.

Have you ever had a person call and complain that they got defrauded by a hooker?? I've had the same guy call about it 3 times!!!

I'll have to check out that facebook group...If I can remember my facebook info.

The police officer who ate some brownies with his wife is still my favorite 911 call ever

Sometimes it seems to come in waves. Some nights we have a hard time just getting any call from a normal citizen. One night it got so bad we all started wearing tin foil helmets hoping we wouldn't hear the voices. LOL

I've walked some of our more colorful citizens through putting foil on their windows.

We have one lady that calls us in a panic every month when they test the tornado sirens. Keep in mind that they do this the first Saturday of every month at 1pm. She calls, in a complete freaking state of panic every month, and we have to calm her down. It's funny, because as soon as we hear the sirens going off, the phone will ring, and we know that it's her. Sometimes my partner and I will just stare at each other and try to play chicken with the call. See who breaks and answers it first.

It's kind of funny though. When the crazy ones die or move on, you kind of miss them. We had a guy that used to call us on every shift, just to see how we were doing and to make sure that we were all right and to tell us that he was still sober. When he died, none of us knew what to do. A couple of the girls that I work with actually went to his funeral.

We also had a guy that was a FLAMING homosexual and a hardcore drunk. He would get really drunk and call us about twice a week. He talked like woman that used to play Cat Woman on the old Batman TV series. He would call us up and threaten us every weekend. We started just transferring him to the LT.'s office. He would then put him on speaker phone and just say, "Yep, uh huh, is that so?" in all the right places while he did his boss stuff. He moved to another city and quit calling too.

In our small town we have our local weekly newspaper and the first thing we read is the Sheriffs Log for the 911 calls. Always good for a laugh.

Back