I hate not finding something I like when I'm out....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sithdad

Reaction score
I was out at Wegmans on Saturday to pick up my son's birthday cake. So, I decided I would check out their beer selection. For those of you who might not know here in PA you only buy, from a distributor, and only by the case. Unless you are a food establishment. Then you can sell 6-packs and the limit is something like 2 six-packs per trip. Well, I don't want to test out something I've never had by dropping $30-50 for a case and then not liking it. So, places like Wegmans is perfect. However, whenever I go it seems all the craft beer choices are either Imperial-this or Double-that. I'd much prefer to find something in the <4% ABV category. I've been success, I think, at making pale ales, stouts, porters, milds and even an IPA that was pretty decent for a 4%'er.

Can someone help me down from this soap box now?
Thanks.

A good double or Imperial will taste great without any heavy alcohol notes, most of the time. Just drink it slower or only pour half a glass at a time. That's what I've had to do with all of the IIPA and Dubbel I've had on hand. That and my last PA I mashed too low and ended up near 1.000 for a 6% ABV.

I'm with you Sithdad (great screen name!) - Wegman's makes it easy to try something before investing heavily. Do you pick up a six of what you're trying or do you use the craft pack and get six different ones? My Wegman's has a large number they always put out for that, but they do a good job of mixing the rest. Plus the 22 oz. bottles is another way to get a sample of something new and they usually have a good selection of English offerings.

A good double or Imperial will taste great without any heavy alcohol notes, most of the time. Just drink it slower or only pour half a glass at a time. That's what I've had to do with all of the IIPA and Dubbel I've had on hand. That and my last PA I mashed too low and ended up near 1.000 for a 6% ABV.
I'm not afraid of the flavors being harsh or that it's going to get me buzzed. I drink 1-2 beers a week (sometimes none). These imperial style beers are like drinking 1/4-1/3 of my daily caloric intake. I'd rather have something that is only ~200 calories per serving, yet still has a lot of flavor. If I have to skip 2 meals to be able to drink I'd rather skip the beer.

I'm with you Sithdad (great screen name!) - Wegman's makes it easy to try something before investing heavily. Do you pick up a six of what you're trying or do you use the craft pack and get six different ones? My Wegman's has a large number they always put out for that, but they do a good job of mixing the rest. Plus the 22 oz. bottles is another way to get a sample of something new and they usually have a good selection of English offerings.

I always craft my own 6-pack. This way if I find something I like I can, either make it myself, or if I'm out somewhere I have something I can order.

I guess it really just boils down to, "Why does it seem like everyone is trying to go as big (i.e. over-the-top) as possible?

Back