I hate Grand Rapids!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Julohan

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I am sure Grand Rapids has much more to offer. I went to Hop Cat and Founder's. What the hell? Both were awesome!

Founder's, a nice quasi-beer hall.

Hop Cat, what a beautiful bar and atmoshphere.

I heard of Hop Cat before. I did not relize they brewed their own beer.

Anyways, I want to live in Grand rapids now.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I am sure Grand Rapids has much more to offer. I went to Hop Cat and Founder's. What the hell? Both were awesome!

Founder's, a nice quasi-beer hall.

Hop Cat, what a beautiful bar and atmoshphere.

I heard of Hop Cat before. I did not relize they brewed their own beer.

Anyways, I want to live in Grand rapids now.
Too bad you missed the Hide Out. You'd have pitched a teepee in their parking lot.

A friend last night was telling me about Brewery Vivant. It's new, I guess, and he couldn't rave enough about it: http://www.breweryvivant.com/

E-Mursed

Reaction score
My step-son, who lives in GR, was just here visiting us in the Detroit suburbs and mentioned that there are 2 new breweries that just opened.

Every visit we make there includes a stop at Founders.

Will have to investigate the new brews in March.:mug:

BrianP

Reaction score
HopCat is fabulous. Good draft selections from everywhere, occasionally rare beers. Great bottle menu, great food. Too bad I don't live there, but am sure to stop by when I visit.

BraveSirRobin

Reaction score
Grand Rapids is awesome, it's such a great city even before considering their beer offerings. It has a lot of big city amenities packaged into a small city atmosphere. Tons of parks, big art scene, eco-friendly buildings, walkable, cool architecture in some of the older neighborhoods, plus the aforementioned beer scene.

Painty

Reaction score
I was a Mug Club member last year at Founders... Thats my Fav Brewery. Grand rapids is a fun town to visit.. Make sure you try mixing a couple beers together in a pint ,they make some tasty creations... Backwoods Bastard & Breakfast Stout is so tasty together...

twilli49

Reaction score
that's what i miss about West Michigan - the awesome breweries. head southwest from Grand Rapids and hit the New Holland Brewery in Holland and Saugatuck Brewing Company in Saugatuck.

thepartsmancometh

Reaction score
This last summer we made a beer pilgrimage to Michigan (about 7 hours or so from here). It was a great time. We visited :
2 brothers (Illinois )
3 Floyds (Indiana)
New Holland
Bells
Founders
Arcadia
Michigan brewing (celis)
Dark horse

In 5 days!

BeerInfinity

Reaction score
We are making a trip this Memorial Weekend from OH & PA to visit Founder's in Grand Rapids - looking forward to it big time. Going to the Tap room on Fri night and taking in a Brewery tour on Saturday.

Reaction score
We are making a trip this Memorial Weekend from OH & PA to visit Founder's in Grand Rapids - looking forward to it big time. Going to the Tap room on Fri night and taking in a Brewery tour on Saturday.
IMO, Hopcat & Brewery Vivant are also must see and if you are willing to travel within an hour radius of GR I would highly suggest Crankers in Big Rapids and Pike 51 in Hudsonville. Enjoy!

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I love Founders, but every time I go there they are PACKED! I've gone to Hopcat twice just because Founders was so busy. And Hopcat was awesome! Love their killer mac n cheese. The first time we went their brewery was brand new and we got a bad beer. The manager admitted it was not very good (so why did you sell it??) but since then they have been putting out so very good stuff.

I am lucky to live close to Crankers. Adam makes some great beer there, and they hired a guy from Arbor Brewing, Bill I believe, to help out.

NIZZLE

Banned
Reaction score
I love Founders, but every time I go there they are PACKED! I've gone to Hopcat twice just because Founders was so busy. And Hopcat was awesome! Love their killer mac n cheese. The first time we went their brewery was brand new and we got a bad beer. The manager admitted it was not very good (so why did you sell it??) but since then they have been putting out so very good stuff.

I am lucky to live close to Crankers. Adam makes some great beer there, and they hired a guy from Arbor Brewing, Bill I believe, to help out.
You should try perrin brewery out great place awesome food and beer :)

Ostomo517

Banned
Reaction score
West Michigan in general is craft beer paradise. Im lucky to live in the middle of all the good breweries but more times than not find myself at New Holland and Odd Side knowing brewers at both.

NathPowe

Reaction score
Yeah, don't forget Odd Side Ales and Perrin Brewing. They make the taste. Also check out Greenbush and The Livery - both making great beers.

BeerInfinity

Reaction score
We are heading to Brewery Vivant tonight (Fri) and Founder's for the tour tomorrow. Must checkout how far Perrin Brewery is to see if we can hit it before New Holland tomorrow night. Many thanks for the suggestions and if you see us Beer Infinity guys in any places come say hi and we will shout you a beer :)

NIZZLE

Banned
Reaction score
We are heading to Brewery Vivant tonight (Fri) and Founder's for the tour tomorrow. Must checkout how far Perrin Brewery is to see if we can hit it before New Holland tomorrow night. Many thanks for the suggestions and if you see us Beer Infinity guys in any places come say hi and we will shout you a beer :)
Must come to perrin if you do pm me I'll definitely show up :D

Reaction score
Moved back to Battle Creek from Vermont a couple of months ago. I've only made it to Arcadia once since then. Every time I try to go to Bell's it is packed!
Haven't had a chance to get up to GR yet.

NIZZLE

Banned
Reaction score
Moved back to Battle Creek from Vermont a couple of months ago. I've only made it to Arcadia once since then. Every time I try to go to Bell's it is packed!
Haven't had a chance to get up to GR yet.
Welcome back.

BeerInfinity

Reaction score
We managed Vivant on Fri evening then Founders on Sat pm before heading to New Holland. Sorry we could not fit in Perrin - next time we will :)

Paul_Aris

Reaction score
Love Perrin. Was in the area so stopped in Founders this afternoon. Love founders as well. Usually stop in Odd Sides once a week.

NIZZLE

Banned
Reaction score
Not a fan of Perrin. I've only been in there once, but they only had 2 beers that did not demonstrate an off flavor.
damn son I've been a ton of times even joined the mug club and never had this off flavor you speak of oh well opinions are like ******** everyone got one. And if the beers were that bad i would be able to find a seat on Friday and Saturdays Cheers

mors

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong it was busy... Everyone was happily drinking their diacetyl and acetaldehyde bombs.

At least the shuffleboard and atmosphere is good :D

Ostomo517

Banned
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong it was busy... Everyone was happily drinking their diacetyl and acetaldehyde bombs.

At least the shuffleboard and atmosphere is good :D
Ive never had a off beer from them, not saying it cant happen but every beer but 2 is a pretty huge and maybe overstated accusation

mors

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
This was mid November 2012 three judges and samples of every beer. Could be because they were new and had not worked out the kinks... Didn't they open in September 2012?

Ostomo517

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah somewhere around there. They definitely are still fairly new. I recommend giving them another shot.