I had homebrewed rum... (F the ATF)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXCrash

Gunshy
Reaction score
Went to a wedding tonight (7/8/09 at 7:08:09 pm). Kinda cheesy but the first time I've atually ENJOYED a wedding.

On tap were miller, newcastle brown, bridgeport IPA and a couple wines. Most importantly though, were some homebrew spirits. Never have I tasted a rum with such flavor...

Didn't get many details from the groom (wedding was a highschool friend of the wife's) but ya best beleive I will... for... ahem... research purposes.

Obviously I think it was a tad foolish to be openly serving homebrew spirits to guests (we'll act like he has a license) but really - better crap than I've ever had.

Note that there is no discussion of distillation techniques allowed here - try and respect that folks, I know how to use google ;-)

Err... not wine on tap - wine from the bottle...

So the 3 beers were on tap, wine and spirits were bottled.

So it's still (pun intended) unlawful to assemble legal ingredients into a substance that is legal to own and consume? I thought prohibition ended ages ago.

Yes, distilling is still illegal. Distillation yeilds methanol as well as ethanol. You don't want to drink methanol - its dangerous. Plus, there is risk of explosion if not done correctly.

NO, there is no risk of explosion. Well, there is, but much like smoking while filling your car with gas, it takes gross stupidity to make it happen(and the same process too, extreme heat REALLY close to vapors). Methanol is also in very small amounts and vaporizes first, therefore just throw out the first shot's worth.

It's only illegal because The Man doesn't get his cut of the taxes.

Distillation of alcohol isn't illegal........ You just have to have a permit, which can get costly and a a PITA to get......

Distillation of alcohol isn't illegal........ You just have to have a permit, which can get costly and a a PITA to get......

That is true - I stand corrected. Distillation is illegal without a permit.

The only reason I know that is b/c my ex-BIL owns a microstill/resturaunt in Lowndes, MS. He said it cost him nearly $2000 and about a year and a half before his permit was approved and his still/resturaunt gets audited(i guess that's what it's called) every few months to make sure that he's not selling anywhere else but in his resturaunt....

Had some HB'd Brandy. Whacheewahh what a headache that made for. But dang, was it good going down.

And Wine on tap is not so far fetched. Low pressure on the corny (enough to push is all) and a cobra faucet and you are done. I have seen this a lot when we'd go to the winery tastings.

And Wine on tap is not so far fetched. Low pressure on the corny (enough to push is all) and a cobra faucet and you are done. I have seen this a lot when we'd go to the winery tastings.

There is a fairly nice italian restraunt by me that has wine on tap.... good wine on tap. It is actually pretty cool and I dont know why more places don't do it. They have a huge case that has tons of bottle in it. Each bottle has some sort of connection right on the neck at the opening. I am not sure what they use to push the wine though. It makes it so that they can allow people to get single glasses of any wine instead of having to sell the entire bottle.

Yeah - wine on tap is pretty common at some places - pushed with N rather than CO2.

No hangover (I got pretty wasted) so I guess the guy did something right.

Tried asking the bride "I just push the button" Sounded like he uses a MR Distiller...

There is a fairly nice italian restraunt by me that has wine on tap.... good wine on tap. It is actually pretty cool and I dont know why more places don't do it. They have a huge case that has tons of bottle in it. Each bottle has some sort of connection right on the neck at the opening. I am not sure what they use to push the wine though. It makes it so that they can allow people to get single glasses of any wine instead of having to sell the entire bottle.

I was at a scmancy wine shop once that had these set up and dispensed short pours so you could sample some wines before you buy. Was a very nice addition, I think it is a nitrogen system.

I bought a 30L keg and it was marked wine. It looked and smelled like wine when I relieved the pressure. - Dwain

My husband was so sad to find out he couldn't (legally) distill his own whiskey ... he is a HUGE Scotch fan. (We've been to Scotland twice -- including our honeymoon -- and I feel like I've seen half the damn distilleries in the country. Also, our second kid was a souvenir of Whiskeyfest 2008 in Chicago. We should've named him Laphroiag.)

Close, but it is really "Woman who won't make grilled cheese sandwich ever, so this is the sound you make in despair." Whacheewahh!!!!!!!

Back