I had a glass bomb :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR402

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yup not a bottle bomb a glass bomb.
Saturday I'm sitting in the living room watching the TV and enjoying a few pints of my house pale. As I'm sitting there I hear this POP sound, it sounded like glass breaking.
I was like "hmm, that's strange".. Then a minute or so later I reach over and grab my glass. It's a 22oz pilsner style glass about half full, maybe a little more. I pick it up and whoosh beer everywhere, all over me, the chair, table and carpet. I was like WTF? Then I see it. The bottom of the glass is still on the table.

I have never seen that before. The glass broke all the way around the base and it held the beer fine until I picked it up. Man what a mess. :drunk:

Was the glass hot? I once pulled a glass out of the dishwasher and immediately filled it with water from the sink. As soon as the water hit the glass, the bottom just dropped right out. It was pretty weird.

That's really odd, if it was the temperature change that did it you'd expect the first beer to cause the damage.

Maybe the first one caused some hairline fractures that slowly spread?

if it cracked around the base it was almost certainly due to heat stress, but that doesnt mean it happened right before if finally broke it could have had a hair line crack from heat stress for weeks before if finally gave up.

Had a similar experience at a bar once. The bartender set the glass down on the bar in front of me, took my $$ and turned around to the cash register to make change. There was a "click" and the glass split in two vertically, spewing the contents all over the bar. Most glass has a lot of internal residual stress from cooling from forming temperature. A small nick or flaw in the right location coupled with thermal shock can do strange things.

Glass is a funny substance like that. Not too long ago my dad had a drinking glass sitting on the kitchen counter (empty), we heard a crack and looked over and it had broken apart just sitting there. It hadn't even been filled with anything, he had just removed it from the cabinet and put it on the counter.

This is one of the reasons I don't trust glass carboys, even if you never bump or bang them they will just one second decide to break. Better bottles FTW! :D

Glass is a funny substance like that. Not too long ago my dad had a drinking glass sitting on the kitchen counter (empty), we heard a crack and looked over and it had broken apart just sitting there. It hadn't even been filled with anything, he had just removed it from the cabinet and put it on the counter.

This is one of the reasons I don't trust glass carboys, even if you never bump or bang them they will just one second decide to break. Better bottles FTW! :D

Yeah I like my BB's and now after this I may sell all my glass and get more of them.

Back