i got some DME for Easter and and don't know what it makes!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2lbs golden light
1lbs sparkling amber
1lbs Bavarian wheat
1lbs muntons wheat malt

Hops
1oz palisade
1oz ahtanum
1oz glacier

ForumRunner_20120408_195752.jpg

Hmmm. Do you have any more DME or anything? That's a decent list of ingredients, but it will only give you about 1.040 or so so it's a lower ABV beer.

Anyway, I love those hops and I'd do this with them:

1 lbs Wheat Malt

This has to be mashed. Hopefully, it's crushed but if not you can crush it with a rolling pin. Heat 2 quarts of water in a small pot to 165 degrees, and add the grains in a bag. Stir well, and hold at 150-160 degrees for an hour. After an hour, take out the grains and put into your brewpot with 2 quarts of 170 degree water. Dunk well, and throw away the grains. Combine the liquids in your brew pot and add water up to your boil volume with water. Bring to a boil and add the extracts. After reaching a boil again, add the hops according to the schedule.

2 lbs Light Dry Extract
1 lbs Amber Dry Extract
1 lbs Wheat Dry Extract

1.00 oz Palisade [7.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.50 oz Glacier [5.70 %] - Boil 15.0 min
0.50 oz Ahtanum [4.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min

Can use the remaining hops for dryhopping if desired.

I don't know exactly what was intended by the recipe, as those are all nice flavor/aroma hops and can be mixed differently. But it's a very light pale ale if done the way I thought of it, with some wheat in it.

That is some great info!!! Im an all grain brewer and I've never worked with extracts! So when I got all this stuff in an easter basket from my wives aunt I was excited..... but not sure what to do with it? Hahahaha

That is some great info!!! Im an all grain brewer and I've never worked with extracts! So when I got all this stuff in an easter basket from my wives aunt I was excited..... but not sure what to do with it? Hahahaha

Make up an all grain batch with a little lower OG than you want and add some of the DME to bring the OG to where you would want it. Dead simple.

Start with a partial mash recipe and use the DME that way. You can make any beer you like that way.

Buy a little more DME and some specialty grains and make an extract batch.

Lots of possibilities with this.

The golden light DME also will make excellent yeast starters. Thats about all I use DME for anymore and it keeps very well.

Also agree on using DME as a booster to large gravity brews. I brewed an RIS this past Friday that was as big as I could do using my 8 gallon pot and BIAB technique. 1.064 OG with 12.75 lbs of grains, 6 gal. I added 6 lbs of LME extract to boost to 1.102!

I was thinking about using some for yeast starters! I like the idea of using it like an espresso shot too!

Hi 2ned,

This might help you with your recipe. 100grams DME + 1 Litre of water = SG 1.040 (.22 oz. + 1 Quart = 1.040).

Bring your kettle to a boil. Remove from heat, add DME and bring back to a boil for an hour, etc, etc.

greenthumbed said:
Hi 2ned,

This might help you with your recipe. 100grams DME + 1 Litre of water = SG 1.040 (.22 oz. + 1 Quart = 1.040).

Bring your kettle to a boil. Remove from heat, add DME and bring back to a boil for an hour, etc, etc.

"SG" = starting gravity???

Hi 2ned,

I'm sorry I guess I should have been more specific.:eek: S.G. refers to "Specific Gravity". It's kinda like "Original Gravity" but more in general I would say. It refers to a gravity reading at any time of the ferment.

Hi 2ned,

I'm sorry I guess I should have been more specific.:eek: S.G. refers to "Specific Gravity". It's kinda like "Original Gravity" but more in general I would say. It refers to a gravity reading at any time of the ferment.
specific gravity (SG) is any reading with a hydrometer - it's what a hydrometer measures. original gravity (OG) and final gravity (FG) are both SG readings at different times - one is before fermentation, the other is after. so OG and FG are two SG readings taken at specific times. if you took a reading with your hydrometer half way through fermentation you would still be reading the brew's SG at that time (and the value would be somewhere between your OG and the FG).

I brewed with this stuff last night I took the malted wheat and toasted it for a half hour and mashed it with 4 lbs of 2 row and then added the DME. I continuously hopped the palisade for the first 20 minutes of the boil and then at 40 I added the glacier and at flame out I added the ahtanum, pitched some us-05 and now we wait!!!!

Latest posts

Back